Like Tree13Likes

Dlink - Router / Speed Issues

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The ISP is only responsible for the connection up to their ISP modem.

If the engineer is nice, he might setup your router for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What are you guys doing that saturates a gig line? Even if it's momentary. Serious question.

My monitoring logs only report up to 70M in the past week, but that's averaged over 5 minute periods, that was probably torrenting chunky Linux .isos (so lots of local sources).
    Usenet mostly. The advantage of Gbit is that I can download 4k movies on Usenet while still being able to watch 4k Youtube, while the missus is watching 4k Netflix without buffering. It's difficult to constantly max out Gbit doing just one thing, but it allows everyone at home to use the internet without reduction in speed.
    ArrynField likes this.

I might even consider this plan (2.2 Gbps for $218), if it's cheaper than my 500 Mbps plan (Currently paying $149...but may revert to $298 upon expiry...see what discount's are available at expiry):-

https://www.hgcbroadband.com/en/broa...le-connections

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    For most people 100 Mbps is sufficient, but with cheap plans for 500 Mbps and 1Gbps most people fall for the marketing hype and go for the higher 1 Gbps plans, even though they don’t need the extra bandwidth.

1Gbps speeds are only achievable for local HK websites and for overseas websites, probably in the region of 200Mbps to 300Mbps as most ISP’s have a cap for overseas websites.

I’ve gone for a 500 Mbps plan and that is sufficient for my needs.

For example, when I signed with HGC, they offered:-

100M - $258
    500M - $298
    1Gb - $358

In addition they offered 50% discount on a 2 year contract.

Typically a 4K Netflix stream requires 25Mbps and even if you have a large family all watching separate 4K content, gaming, surfing or downloading content at the same time, a 1Gbps connection is overkill, when a 500Mbps plan is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Usenet mostly. The advantage of Gbit is that I can download 4k movies on Usenet while still being able to watch 4k Youtube, while the missus is watching 4k Netflix without buffering. It's difficult to constantly max out Gbit doing just one thing, but it allows everyone at home to use the internet without reduction in speed.
    Thought the rule of thumb for 4K stuff was only 25Mbps?

Point taken about simultaneous users doing loads of high bandwidth stuff though. At my place I'm the only person who every does anything higher bandwidth than watching TV.

Then you compare plans and find out how much Mr Li charges....

https://www.netvigator.com/eng/info/list-price.html#

Having been a PCCW/Netvigator//NowTV/Eye Home Telephone subscriber for over 20 years, I am happy they no longer have my business....

You can now get a 1GB for $152 / Average per month for a 3 yr contract ($228/month with 1 year free) from netvigator.

At that price 1Gb becomes the new default.

Then you compare plans and find out how much Mr Li charges....

https://www.netvigator.com/eng/info/list-price.html#
    There's advertised prices and then there's actual prices: As written above I just signed up on a 1GB/s contract for $152 / Average per month for a 3 yr contract ($228/month with 1 year free) from netvigator.

Buy your own router (Mine was $550) - TP-Link AC1750 (best budget router 2020) and you can't complain...

I'm typically getting 550-600mb/s through wifi DL Speed.
    ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    There's advertised prices and then there's actual prices: As written above I just signed up on a 1GB/s contract for $152 / Average per month for a 3 yr contract ($228/month with 1 year free) from netvigator.

Buy your own router (Mine was $550) - TP-Link AC1750 (best budget router 2020) and you can't complain...

I'm typically getting 550-600mb/s through wifi DL Speed.
    Yes, with HGC, advertised at $212 for 2.2 Gb (2x 1Gb and 2x 100 Mbps) and probably lower after negotiation... After 20 years with Netvigator at 6 Mbps and paying 3xx per month, I'm not going back to Netvigator.

Yes, with HGC, advertised at $212 for 2.2 Gb (2x 1Gb and 2x 100 Mbps) and probably lower after negotiation... After 20 years with Netvigator at 6 Mbps and paying 3xx per month, I'm not going back to Netvigator.
    That was then, this is now, supply and demand for sure. HKT or I-cable would have done the exact same thing if they had a monopoly (that's business for you and why we can't trust the free market to protect out environment, but I digress....)

Like Aramis alluded to, it's a bit like the 'supersize me' game theory; not very expensive for just a bit more - except that you really don't need that 'bit more' at the point you purchase it, that extra investment is literally thrown away in many cases.

But in the longer term, many people having 'that bit more' unused bandwidth encourages developers to be more bandwidth hungry with their content.... and so the cycle moves on.