Like Tree17Likes

British to American English Translator Tool

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Is that even necessary ?

As for me, I don't know what English I speak. It's all mixed - British English, American English, Canadian- and Australian-....and there's the written one too. I mix it up all. Back home, the parents speak pure British English though. Confused English, eh?
    I've given up on some for example I use sidewalk, but trousers will always be trousers not pants (is that why Superman wears his pants on the outside?) and if I ever hear myself say "gotten" I will top myself.

A pet frustration is when my kids get marked down in English for using English not American.
    Jillypots likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    chips is crisps in France too.
    I thought they were called Freedom Fries in France

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Is that even necessary ?

As for me, I don't know what English I speak. It's all mixed - British English, American English, Canadian- and Australian-....and there's the written one too. I mix it up all. Back home, the parents speak pure British English though. Confused English, eh?
    Unconventional way to speak in the US. You tell (speaking without accent) someone you have a flat in the US and they might think you mean your tire has no air and offer you help. So it is necessary. lol
    Last edited by RMDNC; 28-11-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    hannah01 and Jillypots like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:

A pet frustration is when my kids get marked down in English for using English not American.
    On the other hand, while studying in Australia, I found it hard to give up American English. To this day, I can't figure it out which English they exactly wanted. I guess, Australian English is a combination of both American and British. During the first semester, most of my papers were red circled on all "z's " (as in organiZation to be replaced with an "s"). I grew up being taught mostly by American teachers, and a fair percentage of British. At school, I had Australian friends and I found it awkward when they used s for z.

It's the fault of globalization. And, maybe the English shouldn't have colonized America or Australia.
    hullexile likes this.