Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

monitors

Closed Thread

monitors

hi
    1. i plan to take a trip out to Sum Shui Po today, and buy a small HDMI monitor for a RPI computer.
    i want enough resolution to not strain my eyes, which is already bad. maybe 15 to 19 inch large.
    i was advised by a local to go to Golden Computer Arcade.

2. what is difference between a portable monitor and a regular monitor?
    the former looks much lighter and seems to cost less. what am i giving up for that?

3. is a 15" monitor too small for basic computing like word-processing and spreadsheeting?

thanks!

Last edited by euless; 29-11-2020 at 10:47 AM.

I think if you are gonna work all day on it then the bigger the better. 27 inch is the sweet spot IMO. You can go smaller but nothing below 24 inch IMO. LED IPS are features you want. To save money get a 1080p but if you ever used a 2K or especially a 4K monitor its hard to go back to 1080p even for regular office work as the text looks fuzzy IMO.

Portable means its portable. People take it with their laptop on business trips or out on the field to make presentations with a second screen. Much smaller screen. IMO that aint what you are looking for.

I haven't noticed a lot of portable screens in SSP, but then I haven't been looking - I'm sure they're there. Apart from size/weight/price, the big differences are that they're likely to have a kickstand or similar rather than a full desktop stand, and - not that it applies to the raspi - can often take power and data over a single USB-C cable. If you consider that 15" is considered fairly large for a laptop, it'll be fine.

That said, unless you actually are planning to use it on the road, or have very limited space, I'd consider a regular desktop monitor - you can get a bigger/brighter one for very little money nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz;3764198

That said, unless you actually are planning to use it on the road, or have [B:
    very[/B] limited space, I'd consider a regular desktop monitor - you can get a bigger/brighter one for very little money nowadays...
    i am envisioning having to move the monitor from my cramped room to the dining table whenever I need to do serious work. so thats why i thought about getting a portable monitor.

and in case i move back to the States in near future, i can take the portable onto the airplane easier.
    Last edited by euless; 29-11-2020 at 11:55 AM.

I use a portable USB monitor as a secondary screen.

I have a 17 inch laptop and the portable monitor is 15 inches.

If I had the space I would get a much bigger monitor.

vmlinuz likes this.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=portable+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Lenovo and ASUS are two of the reputable brands in the space. There are Chinese brands that are not household names. While cheap, cant vouch for reliablity nor quality of components.

There is an AOC brand one for US $99. Free shipping no sales tax as in HK. Liberal return policy etc. Better than buying from SSP and having to tangle with a local shop if someting goes wrong IMO. Shopkepers in HK view justified returns the same was as shoplifting or some other BS petty crime IMO.

Personally I suggest your get a real one (not portable) and give away (helper boarding house wlll be glad to take it), sell or toss it when you leave. You can keep box and carry it on too IMO. Whats the point of adding a small screen. You can use your tablet instead and spend nothng incrementally IMO.
    Last edited by RMDNC; 29-11-2020 at 02:20 PM.