Like Tree13Likes

Where to buy laptop battery?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ask www.Cameronsino.net

I haven't had any dealing with them in years.... 2426-9811should still get 'em somewhere in Tsun Wan as I recall.

My contact was "Longman Cheung" on 8100-4198 - again many years ago.....

Buyer beware. I sourced a Samsung tablet battery awhile back. Looked totally real with same metal sticker etc. date of manufacture that was recent, serial number etc. Problem is I later learned Samsung discontinued manufature of the battery a few years ago. Not from a HK store but online from the Mainland. I'm sure some of that BS makes its way into the retail shops. It probably performs anyway but could also explode on your possibly. Who knows. I ended up not using the battery for a different reason and retired the tablet instead of trying to revive it.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Buyer beware. I sourced a Samsung tablet battery awhile back. Looked totally real with same metal sticker etc. date of manufacture that was recent, serial number etc. Problem is I later learned Samsung discontinued manufature of the battery a few years ago. Not from a HK store but online from the Mainland. I'm sure some of that BS makes its way into the retail shops. It probably performs anyway but could also explode on your possibly. Who knows. I ended up not using the battery for a different reason and retired the tablet instead of trying to revive it.
    Or it could be that you got an original, just like you wanted...but from the time when it was manufactured, which could be several years old. Batteries do have an expiry date, even when not used.

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy:
    I'm at HK Battery now, the guy is asking for $600HKD for the original HP battery plus $100 handing fee.. is this okay, or he trying to rip me off? Plus, the warranty is only for 6 months.

The guy is a skinny dude with glasses.. it was originally $650, but asked him if he can do it cheaper.. and he said only by $50

Showed him the laptop and he automatically quoted the price without even asking for the laptop model.. so all original HP batteries are the same price?
    They don't need the model, nor even the brand, if they just look at the size of the pack or even look at the laptop size they will be able to tell if the pack is a 4, 6 or 8 cell pack.... and this drives the cost. Branded original 3000Mha 18650 (which you will rarely will find in a originally laptop) can cost you HK$40 in bulk... retail they can go for more. Just right of the bat he may be looking at just costs of HK320 for the cells, never mind rent, shipping, transportation etc...

After you get yourself a battery pack I would recommend you charge to about 50% and then remove it from the laptop....

Also count yourself lucky this is not a the pouch batteries that are in thin laptops as those inflate and bend the case.

Not sure what is the quality of these batteries but I've yet to find an original Branded 18650 in Ap Liu street. I've seen quality unbranded stuff.... A lot of china batteries don't go above 2600mha because they are using recycled purified lithium mixed with new stuff...

What I generally hate about the PC laptops is that the charging algo, ie the part which may decide when to destroy the battery is in hardware. Mac's are much better at battery management.... and optimizing the charge. I wish the algo was software based and we maximize the life of batteries and not have the laptop to charge it to 100% as the capacity is lost and in the process killing the battery even faster... Generally it is best to take the battery out half charged and use mains.... when viable.

If you want maximum capacity find a good supplier for Sanyo GA 3500Mha... and take them to the HK Battery guy... With on an 8 cell pack you can set yourself with 100Whrs.... even if it is an old laptop, that is about 10-12 hours of actual use of a "U" cpu laptop and more than any new laptop can handle.
    Last edited by Fenix2; 10-03-2021 at 10:05 PM.

No. As I stated, the battery was stamped with a recent date. Samsung stopped manufacturing of batteries 2 years prior. It was a fake.

Fenix2 likes this.

Went back to HK battery to get a new one in..
    Laptop battery was completely spent, with the plug stuck in, the lappy would light up for 2 seconds then turn off. HP was charging well over 1000, so HKB was the last option.
    When I went, this time he was only charging 500 plus 100 service fee for a new battery. 100 cheaper than what he quoted a few months back. Gave him the laptop and went back about half an hour later to pick it up. Good service.. 6 month warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The place in SSP is called batteryhk, or hkbattery, I cannot remember which. It's on the first floor, towards the NW edge of the building, in the centre of the floorplan. It's pretty obvious, hard to miss.
    Spent a happy 30 minutes going round and round 1st floor of New Capital Computer Plaza today with these words in my head, taunting me. Even asked (can you imagine a guy ASKING directions?) Chap working there hadn't heard of battery-HK or variants. Guessing he doesn't get out much? ;-)

The good news - Battery-HK although not in New Capital Computer Plaza (June 2022) is very nearby in the Wonder Building, a couple of minutes walk away and easier to get to from the metro.

Battery-HK, Shop 42, 1/F, Wonder Building, 161-175 Fuk Wa Street, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon. (opposite to Golden Computer Centre). Sham Shui Po Exit D2 and turn left. It's on the left and opposite the huge sign for Golden Computer Centre.
    Monday - Saturday: 11:00-20:00
    Sunday and Labour Holiday: Closed

I explained the issue (it's an ex-Polly, sorry battery) and a polite, English speaking chap jumped to take the laptop, removed the cover and showed me the battery (slightly swollen, 5 years old). He raced to the PC and quickly sourced the part which matched what I'd already researched and quoted $500 with $100 deposit as he needed to order it (4-5 days). The price is well on-par with prices researched online from various sources, a bit cheaper in fact.

Fitting charge wasn't mentioned but if it were another $100 that'd be well-matched to the time required to unscrew, pop in the battery and re-screw the cover. They also do Dysons, a lot of them judging by the vacuum cleaner parts around the place.

Here's the Battery-HK website (in English). Hope this helps fellow battery searchers.
    Last edited by duncan67; 09-06-2022 at 05:12 PM. Reason: extra info
    jgl likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2