Like Tree13Likes

Where to buy laptop battery?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to buy laptop battery?

Good morning,

Looking to buy a spare laptop battery for a HP Pavilion.. bought that here in HK about 2 years ago. I contacted HP about it and they said I had to bring the laptop in to them and their engineer guy will 'inspect' it, which will cost at least $500, and about another $1000 for the battery itself and other fees. Complete rip-off, already diagnosed the issue and I just need the battery changed, nothing else.

Went to a few of them stalls at that computer mall in Mong Kok but they don't sell the battery, and few in the basement of Golden arcade don't either. Does anyone know any places that stock HP laptop batteries?

Cheers

I think you missed the best place just by a square. I think the name of the building might be New Capital Computer Plaza in the parallel street to Golden Computer Arcade in SSP. It's a building full of spare components and second hand IT stuff, including servers. If you take the escalator to the first floor, just on the left I think there's a very tiny shop that is just for old laptop batteries and components. The guy there provided me a new battery and a Intel PCI wireless chip for my ancient Vostro 1500 from 2008.

Thank you my good man will check out that place you mentioned in SSP next week when the weather is better.. cheers for the info mate

Cheers bud, will definitely check out Taobao if I can't find it in Sham Shui Po

The place in SSP is called batteryhk, or hkbattery, I cannot remember which. It's on the first floor, towards the NW edge of the building, in the centre of the floorplan. It's pretty obvious, hard to miss.

They can crack open your old pack and install new 18650 cells, but if you are after a spare pack, they might be able to order an OEM part for you.

I would not order a replacement pack over ebay or Aliexpress, or whatever it is that some people do.

MABinPengChau likes this.

I went to HK Battery in SSP (posted about it in one of the other battery threads). Thought I had a battery problem, they checked it out (for free!) said it was not a battery issue (think it might have been the charger, whatever, something else). Nice as anything, spoke perfect English, pretty honest (could have sold me another battery, would have bought it).

vmlinuz and jgl like this.

I'm at HK Battery now, the guy is asking for $600HKD for the original HP battery plus $100 handing fee.. is this okay, or he trying to rip me off? Plus, the warranty is only for 6 months.

The guy is a skinny dude with glasses.. it was originally $650, but asked him if he can do it cheaper.. and he said only by $50

Showed him the laptop and he automatically quoted the price without even asking for the laptop model.. so all original HP batteries are the same price?

Last edited by chodaboy; 10-03-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Buyer beware. I sourced a Samsung tablet battery awhile back. Looked totally real with same metal sticker etc. date of manufacture that was recent, serial number etc. Problem is I later learned Samsung discontinued manufature of the battery a few years ago. Not from a HK store but online from the Mainland. I'm sure some of that BS makes its way into the retail shops. It probably performs anyway but could also explode on your possibly. Who knows. I ended up not using the battery for a different reason and retired the tablet instead of trying to revive it.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Buyer beware. I sourced a Samsung tablet battery awhile back. Looked totally real with same metal sticker etc. date of manufacture that was recent, serial number etc. Problem is I later learned Samsung discontinued manufature of the battery a few years ago. Not from a HK store but online from the Mainland. I'm sure some of that BS makes its way into the retail shops. It probably performs anyway but could also explode on your possibly. Who knows. I ended up not using the battery for a different reason and retired the tablet instead of trying to revive it.
    Or it could be that you got an original, just like you wanted...but from the time when it was manufactured, which could be several years old. Batteries do have an expiry date, even when not used.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast