Like Tree16Likes

Home Network Wiring

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

It's like the whole world has problems with their wireless routers and mesh systems.

@jgl - one of the posts got stuck in the moderation queue.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/119/threa...ml#post3801253

jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ploft:
    I picked up this switch a month or so back from a guy on the second or third floor of the Capital Building by Golden Computer and I think he had more.
    Excellent- thanks. Do you recall how much you got it for?

Oh, and what's the management interface like, is there a fairly usable GUI or is it all SSH?

New Capital is the place I've been checking for this kind of thing, and I did notice one place on 3rd floor that carries Ruckus APs (which is usually closed). I'll make another trip.

This model had reports of failing PSUs which made me slighty wary, but my other options are all EoL Cisco and Ruckus units shipped across from the States. No problem with EoL, but the shipping is a bit of a faff.

Quote Originally Posted by uopjo6:
    It's like the whole world has problems with their wireless routers and mesh systems.
    For HK this is no surprise, it's one of the most densely populated cities on earth, yet at at the same time people live in apartments which are constructed out of the worst materials possible for wireless transmission. Wifi is almost uniquely unsuited to this city, yet people somehow expect it to magically work.

I am regularly amazed that it works as well as it does here. The implementation of the tech is amazing that we can use it at all.

I can register over a hundred competing APs from my apartment. I've seen screenshots from friends in other major cities where they can see 2-3 outside APs.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Excellent- thanks. Do you recall how much you got it for?

Oh, and what's the management interface like, is there a fairly usable GUI or is it all SSH?

New Capital is the place I've been checking for this kind of thing, and I did notice one place on 3rd floor that carries Ruckus APs (which is usually closed). I'll make another trip.

This model had reports of failing PSUs which made me slighty wary, but my other options are all EoL Cisco and Ruckus units shipped across from the States. No problem with EoL, but the shipping is a bit of a faff.
    Think I paid 1500 HKD for it, but didn't try to negotiate or anything. There's a web interface that's kinda crappy, but works, but also I haven't really set up my network since I'm still waiting on a couple more pieces of hardware.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huntermaclean:
    Thanks for the reply @Fenix2. I have 2 mates in Stanley and Regalia that recently upgraded to TP-Link Deco X60's, and in both cases they said it solved any issues they previously had. So that's why I'm looking at a "Wi-Fi 6" mesh solution. I think a Cisco switch is overkill for a space that will probably serve less than 20 devices. The house is attached to 1 other resident and I'd say 3 are in proximity, so interference hopefully won't be an issue like it is in our current flat. Again, I'll update this weekend after I have a site review with the technician on Friday.

Cheers,
    Hunter
    Regalia is not easy to cover, a lot depends on your cabling of the house. Also the internal cable ducting is awful. Before you buy one of those places, you really need to survey... There are few houses running Cisco Aironet there....

I have seen those TP-Link deco's fail spectacularly, in some of those large houses. Putting like 10K's worth of AP's in the bin or having to give them to your mates is not fun..... So again, take your gamble.

Meshes only work IF your neighbors are not sat there with 160Mhz channels, blasting power through your walls, as soon as that happens, you have no fall back. They can strangle your backhaul, one source of interference will can affect up to your whole network. On a wired/controller based, at most they can hit one AP, one location, until it gets out of the way.

A mesh generally will degrade over time, to the point it may fail and split. The fisher price interface they have won't allow you to get down and deal with interference.

BTW the switch is needed for connecting the device and power stuff.... avoid you power sockets, gives you total freedom where you put the AP/mesh node.... not just where there is a socket, that is no basis for providing coverage.

If you want to do that smart dumb thing, get a switch for your mesh and give yourself cabling to run the network.