Like Tree6Likes

what is the metaverse?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    I have taken the red pill, but I am still here... how come?

please show me the rabbit hole... thanks.
    That's because you are not the "one"...aka...Neo.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzz:
    It's what Neal Stephenson in 1992 imagined the internet might be like. A sort of retrofuturism.

As for Facebook... I suppose it's a way to sell ads in VR, since they need to explain to their shareholders how they can grow if they fall behind in mobile adoption.
    Oh yeah. They do track your head movements. Where you look at with the headset, what do you do/gesture with your virtual hands. So...way more tracking that what they already did just at their FB page (tracking where the mouse hovers, what is typed even if just immediately deleted, stuff like that).

I think its closer to "ready player one" than the matrix.

Working in a fully connected VR. Working online as if you were physically in the office or at a business conference. Not just an online "status" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That's because you are not the "one"...aka...Neo.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I think its closer to "ready player one" than the matrix.

Working in a fully connected VR. Working online as if you were physically in the office or at a business conference. Not just an online "status" anymore.
    Sword Art Online is another possibility

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_Art_Online

It's yet another factor in the 'fuck me I'm getting old and can't be bothered with it' category

Remember when we used to play outside in the park?

Remember Grandstand/Binatone or other ping pong tennis games?

Remember the innovation of the Atari Console?

Remember the first internet dial ups? We thought nothing of loading page 2 and making a cup of tea while we were waiting. I used to play online cards back in those days. Freezing was just an accepted way of life.

Now the next generation are going to say do you remember how shit internet broadband was

There's nothing wrong with innovation I'm all for it but getting to that age where some of it is already leaving me behind (hence my comments the other day about difficulty understanding VPN installations).

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    It's yet another factor in the 'fuck me I'm getting old and can't be bothered with it' category

Remember when we used to play outside in the park?

Remember Grandstand/Binatone or other ping pong tennis games?

Remember the innovation of the Atari Console?

Remember the first internet dial ups? We thought nothing of loading page 2 and making a cup of tea while we were waiting. I used to play online cards back in those days. Freezing was just an accepted way of life.

Now the next generation are going to say do you remember how shit internet broadband was

There's nothing wrong with innovation I'm all for it but getting to that age where some of it is already leaving me behind (hence my comments the other day about difficulty understanding VPN installations).
    So, I wonder how you will cope without 'yesterdays' clunky VR headsets and go the full sugically implanted cerebral directly connected augmented reality smart phone
    of the future, fictionally demonstrated in the British dystopian TV series, Years & Years, and the new gender of trans human. lol

When I think about it, fark I have seen and experienced some serious evolutionary changes over my short lifetime, one that's going to constantly be disruptive and likely to make the lives of the masses less comfortable. You just won't be able to escape from it, which is quite ironic when you think about it, as vr was used as escapism..it 'will be' the world you actually, live in, one that you invest to purchase vr real estate in, one that you will advertise in and work in.
    https://youtu.be/qOcktbXSfxU

Future housing for the sheep masses, will just be a very grey concrete box in the future, but your vr implants will make it look nice to you and your friends, providing you're all using the same room theme simulator app.. Sad synthetic world we are heading into.
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

It wouldn't surprise me if the metaverse turns into Facebook's interpretation of QAnon, resulting in heaps of conspiracy theories about the real world. But I'm too old to be bothered by all this.

The metaverse is the universe privatised.

Can I vote for Metaxit?