Like Tree7Likes

Google Cloud vs AWS vs local host for LAMP

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Google Cloud vs AWS vs local host for LAMP

I like to start a MediaWiki project (written in PHP), renting some VPS space with LAMP

Any recommendation for local hosting? thanks...

I was thinking about Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud and AWS. But I am hoping some local hosts can do it cheap....

thanks..

PS I haven't never done this before and don't know the difference between VPS. vm, docker, container, etc...

Last edited by nivek2046; 09-12-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Look at digitalocean.com, too. They offer some prebuilt "droplets" that run LAMP (or LEMP) on Ubuntu servers.

You can spin up a MediaWiki container on GCE / AWS etc without having to go through setting up your server by yourself.

Been ages since I looked at it, but it is non-trivial to setup and admin. But don't let that stop you from spinning a VM up and playing with it.

https://bitnami.com/stack/mediawiki/cloud

https://docs.bitnami.com/google/apps...i/#first_steps

Last edited by shri; 09-12-2021 at 01:45 PM.
    nivek2046 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Look at digitalocean.com, too. They offer some prebuilt "droplets" that run LAMP (or LEMP) on Ubuntu servers.
    thanks..

US$5 per month... 25GB storage!!!

sounds great!

but i heard oracle is free. is it true?
    Last edited by nivek2046; 09-12-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Oracle is a database, so not sure what you mean by your question. Oracle does own a proprietary version of MySQL, which is the M in LAMP.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    thanks..

US$5 per month... 25GB storage!!!

sounds great!

but i heard oracle is free. is it true?
    Oracle cloud have a fee tier that include a couple of VMs "free forever", yes. If you only want to play that's a good choice.

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/
    SirNotAppearing and nivek2046 like this.

I await the LAOP stack.

Google cloud also has a free tier

https://cloud.google.com/free

You are probably wasting resources if you allocate a full VPS - cheaper to use App Engine - which supports php. Or you could build a ocker cointainer and deploy it on Cloud Run...

nivek2046 likes this.

If you want to build stuff yourself on a free VM vs spinning up a pre-configured container for 5$/month you must value your own time in something measurable only in VND... And if you want to do something to learn how building web applications is done, I don't think you want to stick with LAMP, which is basically the Web 1.0 tech stack....

nivek2046 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    If you want to build stuff yourself on a free VM vs spinning up a pre-configured container for 5$/month you must value your own time in something measurable only in VND... And if you want to do something to learn how building web applications is done, I don't think you want to stick with LAMP, which is basically the Web 1.0 tech stack....
    I just want to build a wiki site... But I would like to let individual users make comments at the end of an article like the guardian, financial times, washington post, youtube, etc... can that be done?
    Last edited by nivek2046; 09-12-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast