Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By thegame181
  • 2 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

Wifi Egg

Wifi Egg

I've been instructed from afar to procure a wifi egg (for use while in quarantine both in HK and overseas).

When I spoke to the saleslady at Fortress:

1. she told me that the ones which do not require a sim card will not be good enough to stream Netflix etc and if I want to be able to watch movies, I need one which takes a sim card

2. when I asked whether I could use the one in my phone, she started talking about "plans" and I didn't get a clear answer (as much my fault as hers as I was in a hurry).

Any thoughts on what is the best option?

Does the person who needs internet access have a dual SIM phone? Don't know how iPhones are configured, but most android phones seem to have some sort of dual SIM capability.

Relatively painless to put a second sim in for data and share that over Wifi as a "router" of sorts.

With a dual sim phone - you can load them up with PAYG sims and they can stream away without needing to change their primary number / sim.

traineeinvestor likes this.

@ shri and deleteduser

Thanks for the replies. It's for my wife to use when she returns to HK and does her three weeks incarceration. It will probably get recycled for future quarantine experiences in both HK and NZ later in the year.

We're both on relatively old iPhones so no dual sim card.

So I think that means I should either get a second sim card or have tethering added to our existing package with 1010?

Getting a wifi egg $300 to $500 and buying a SoSim for $33 is your best bet. When you tether your phone, it tends to get warm/hot quickly if you are using it for long durations.

traineeinvestor and rainylin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:

So I think that means I should either get a second sim card or have tethering added to our existing package with 1010?
    I'd suggest getting a WiFi egg which accepts a SIM card and buying a few PAYG SIMs ... not sure which network works best at Pennys Bay - I'm sure you can research that. CSL is top notch .. but no clue how well they cover remote holiday camps.

Suggesting PAYG sims as they have low / no expensive surcharges once you go over the limit - you can reload them or pop another one into the device.

I concur on the point to get one egg and many SIMS. I found in Best Western SYP that the SoSIm was very poor but my Birdie worked fine. Almost all the carriers have a cheap version.

traineeinvestor likes this.