Like Tree10Likes

How to get WiFi upstairs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to get WiFi upstairs

I moved into a new flat and had WiFi installed downstairs - pretty much no signal upstairs. My options seem to be:

Install another wifi upstairs at 2/F, Ie pay double what I currently do. Don’t mind too much as paying just over hkd100 pm.

Get a handyman to run a ethernet cable upstairs,then add the second router there. Seems they will charge around hkd1000 for this - just wondering if they can do it in some way without the cable being in sight.

The Mesh router route. But since the signal upstairs is basically zero,I wonder if the booster solution might not work very well.

thansk!

Google Powerline adapters...

Quote Originally Posted by jamo82:
    I moved into a new flat and had WiFi installed downstairs - pretty much no signal upstairs. My options seem to be:

Install another wifi upstairs at 2/F, Ie pay double what I currently do. Don’t mind too much as paying just over hkd100 pm.

Get a handyman to run a ethernet cable upstairs,then add the second router there. Seems they will charge around hkd1000 for this - just wondering if they can do it in some way without the cable being in sight.

The Mesh router route. But since the signal upstairs is basically zero,I wonder if the booster solution might not work very well.

thansk!
    I used a range extender for my rooftop before getting mesh. Just find a plug that's on the absolute edge of the current signal closest to upstairs and place it there. Only $200 at any little shop, otherwise it's the bloody expensive mesh routers.
    alexdown and rainylin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jamo82:

There's only 2 ways to hide the cable:
    1) Trunking, which runs outside the wall, it looks neater, but then you see trunking rather than cable.
    2) Bury it in the wall - not practical and VERY expensive.

Name:  Trunk.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  18.2 KB

Original Post Deleted
    So can you use a power line adapter to take the signal to another part of your home and then connect it to another device (router?) to convert the signal into wifi for those rooms?

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-t...erline-adapter

Would use a mesh system. You would need 3 nodes probably to get it upstairs. They really are fantastic.

SecondsT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy88:
    Would use a mesh system. You would need 3 nodes probably to get it upstairs. They really are fantastic.
    Any mesh system you would recommend for taking the signal upstairs (that doesn’t cost an arm and leg)?

Powerline would be the easiest. I use these: https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=474328

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy88:
    many mesh system you would recommend for taking the signal upstairs (that doesn’t cost an arm and leg)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast