• 1 Post By Shiojiri Hiro
  • 1 Post By penguins
  • 1 Post By vyral_143
  • 1 Post By Shiojiri Hiro
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By shri

Lenovo Service Center Experience?

Lenovo Service Center Experience?

Does anyone have any recent experience dealing with Lenovo's service center?

Have a Yoga device which is under premium warrenty that needs repairs.. Looks like a failing backlight or faulty display cable and have a short turn around time of about 10 days before the person leaves HK.

Just curious if any one has had devices repaired by them lately.. Has the turn around been fast?

Had an issue with my thinkpad x1 tablet keyboard (it was detected by the tablet) last Dec. Handed the tablet and keyboard in on Dec 22 afternoon, notified on Dec 24 that device was ready for collection. They did check on the tablet, realized that the issue was with the keyboard (told 'em!), and just gave me a new keyboard. Don't think they did any fix on the tablet itself. This could be why the turnaround was fast.

If you are going to the service center, go as early as you can on the day. The waiting time was a killer when I was there in the afternoon... maybe could have watch an episode or two of K-drama on Netflix . The waiting area isn't very big and it can get crowded with impatient people. A potential superspreader activity....

shri, Editor and Drunken Master like this.

Thanks for the early morning tip! Will plan to queue at 6AM HK style.

I took a laptop there before covid. they were pretty good. My issue necessitated me to drop the laptop off and they had to order the parts from overseas but it was free and they gave me some voucher that i never used.

I liked the no quibbling and the I didnt feel like I had to worry about being scammed as I do when I go to the computer malls...

shri likes this.

@Shiojiri Hiro - do you remember how long it took? I know parts are different .. but just curious how long it would take in a worst case scenario for them to replace the parts or hopefully just replace the device incase it is a motherboard or some other larger failure.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Thanks for the early morning tip! Will plan to queue at 6AM HK style.
    That's too late. Try 6PM the night before.
    shri likes this.

A friend's Lenovo Ideapad bought last year in May (in warranty for 2 years total) had issue of broken screen frame near hinge on right side. We discovered this on last Saturday night. On Sunday, we visited SSP, golden computer arcade 1st floor shop 85B. Repair time was about 3 hours after bit of insisting at cost of HK$350. However, we din't just give it there for repair; as wanted to check if Lenovo would still repair this and provide warranty for rest of 14 months.

Friend then visited their Lai Chi Kok service center on Monday afternoon. It took him waiting of 1H 30Min before getting his turn. They accepted laptop, suggested that they will check in this week and call us before repairing if parts are chargeable.

shri likes this.

It took around 2-3 days I think. The problem was my laptop wasnt charging and they had to replace some parts.

Just FYI my company is based in OIE and use lenovo for onsite support. Back before the 5th wave 2 or the USB ports on my work laptop died and they came and swapped them out. Took 15mins and they came within 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @Shiojiri Hiro - do you remember how long it took? I know parts are different .. but just curious how long it would take in a worst case scenario for them to replace the parts or hopefully just replace the device incase it is a motherboard or some other larger failure.
    shri likes this.

We do have onsite support (retail premium plan) but I suspect this needs surgery and asking someone to come in will just delay the fix.

But thanks - this gives me some amount of confidence that they're probably not as bad as I thought they might be. Am used to apple grade support and have extremely low expectations of any other vendor.

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

This thread is good to read. I was worried that Lenovo support would go downhill (initially after it went IBM-> Lenovo, and then they moved their service centre off HK Island out into Kowloon somewhere).

I've used them a handful of times over the past couple of decades, they have been exceptional for Thinkpads. With one exception that was down to flawed product design (which is why I remain wary of non-Thinkpad Lenovo Yoga lines). Have not used them in the past 3-4 years though.

vmlinuz and Shiojiri Hiro like this.