Smarttone 5G / Fiber Alternatives?

Smarttone 5G / Fiber Alternatives?

I've been using Smartone 5G for about a few months now, as my current place doesn't have fibre optic as an option.

It started off ok, but has gotten slower and slower as the months progress. Now its to the point where during the peak hours (5-10) its very unreliable and extremely slow if not cuts off once and a while.

Is there any alternative? Was there a 300mb option (through phone line?) via netvigator?

You need to contact Netvigator to check, via hotline or a salesman on street.

If you have no fibre netvigator is 8mbps up, 1mbps down and really crap. I don't think HK has the upgraded version of copper to home / fibre to cabinet which you get in Europe with c. 50/100mbps.

HKBN do an unlimited 5G deal which we are using. Works very nicely at the moment, hoping it doesn't get so popular that it slows way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    If you have no fibre netvigator is 8mbps up, 1mbps down and really crap. I don't think HK has the upgraded version of copper to home / fibre to cabinet which you get in Europe with c. 50/100mbps.

HKBN do an unlimited 5G deal which we are using. Works very nicely at the moment, hoping it doesn't get so popular that it slows way down.
    You can get 100mbps on some sort of adsl connection. We have had it about 10+ years ago.

OK our new place must just be in prehistory with string and paper cups between us and the exchange cabinet then!... there's buildings nearby with fibre to the apartment but all we can get is 8mbps.

Still HKBN is really reliable running 80-120mbps so far. Lots of Zooming all day, and typically no more than one dropout/pause per day. Often seems to happen around 5.30pm so it's probably something “deliberate” too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    OK our new place must just be in prehistory with string and paper cups between us and the exchange cabinet then!... there's buildings nearby with fibre to the apartment but all we can get is 8mbps.

Still HKBN is really reliable running 80-120mbps so far. Lots of Zooming all day, and typically no more than one dropout/pause per day. Often seems to happen around 5.30pm so it's probably something “deliberate” too.
    I currently have SmarTone 5g Home Broadband connected because of the absence of any fiber connections same as poster.
    SmarTone is fine for downloads but the latency is so bad and not really very good with gaming.
    Do you think switching to HKBN 5g would do any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by steamed_rice:
    I currently have SmarTone 5g Home Broadband connected because of the absence of any fiber connections same as poster.
    SmarTone is fine for downloads but the latency is so bad and not really very good with gaming.
    Do you think switching to HKBN 5g would do any difference?
    I vaguely recall (from the days of running an extension lead down the stairs to dial up) that gaming needs a low ping. My ping on HKBN is coming up on meter.net as 29ms. Does that help?