Like Tree3Likes

Impolite behavior?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impolite behavior?

I use LINE message, mostly 'chat' with others. I have become used to seeing the 'read' note whenever my message has been opened and read.

Now two of my chats has deleted this function, at least one of them certainly the other most likely. Now i cannot know if the other folks have seen and read my message, or not. If they do not respond, i am in the dark.

I guess i don't like this kind of mild ghosting. Rather childish, IMO and i won't be chatting with those folks again.

Have you any thoughts on this?

Looks like I got a competitor in terms of opening weird threads

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    I guess i don't like this kind of mild ghosting. Rather childish, IMO and i won't be chatting with those folks again.

Have you any thoughts on this?
    Yes, it's a thing called privacy, some people don't want to be so exposed to give sender the detail if/when exactly they read it. Nothing wrong with that and nothing childish either IMHO.

Don't know about LINE, but if it's same as with WhatsApp, then it's reciprocal and they also can't see read-confirmation on their sent messages either. So kinda fair.

If you feel you have to ditch them because of this, this is your free decision to do so. Whereas frankly I feel the term "childish" is something that could come into one's mind on that reaction.
    spode and blueagles like this.

Different countries, different habits.
    What you perceive as an affront is probably widely accepted behavior in their society.

Grow up? I disable read receipts because I sometimes I read a message and don't have time to immediately reply.

...wait for ittttt

I do understand that you feel being left in the dark. On the other hand, there are people who will start sending "follow up messages" (i.e. those passive aggressive messages that consist of only a question mark) if you don't answer in the minute. I think the problem is that instant messaging is relatively new (as compared to let's say phone calls), so society hasn't yet figured out the adequate codes.

I would say impolite behaviour is

a) using social media at all. I’ve pretty much weaned myself off Facebook, though messenger is essential for long distance contacts. I can’t pretend I’m not active on WhatsApp but that’s largely football team or Covid/travel related and that’s about the limit of my social media beyond alternatives to messenger for long distance video calls

b) using mobile phones while out with your mates. A beer tastes just as good without the need to resort to checking the phone every 3 seconds

c) the use of phones either while paying for shopping or worse still those selling, typically in 7/11, while on the phone.

All of the above are impolite. Hiding your current status is personal preference.

All

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I would say impolite behaviour is

a) using social media at all.
    Said on a social media website

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Said on a social media website
    Geo doesn’t count

The irony here is deep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast