Like Tree2Likes

How fast is your Net connection?

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

I've never seen anyone have any location specific recommendations on fixed-line ISP. The service is the service - it doesn't vary at the District level. For some providers (those not using dedicated links to each subscriber) there may be some variation at the building level under high load conditions, but that's about all.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I've never seen anyone have any location specific recommendations on fixed-line ISP. The service is the service - it doesn't vary at the District level. For some providers (those not using dedicated links to each subscriber) there may be some variation at the building level under high load conditions, but that's about all.
    The reason I was asking is because I was looking into HKBN and they said they don't have service in my area, so I wasn't sure if it's my building or the area around me (Tsuen Wan).

Thanks though!

I am in North Point and it appears to be pretty slow according to the test but it doesn't seem too bad to me.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1539460916.png

If you have an 8Mbit/s service and your NOW TV box is on then that looks about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    I am in North Point and it appears to be pretty slow according to the test but it doesn't seem too bad to me.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1539460916.png
    That does look about right, the best I got with PCCW 8M service was 6.5/.6.

Have just switched to HKBN and even with old modem and lan card am getting this:-

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1539552960.png

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Wouldn't it make more sense to use the Government's speed testing service for HK comparisons?
    No, since the server is within HK. If you get a high speed to an overseas server not only does it prove your DSL (from house to ISP premises) is good but also the connection from the ISP to overseas, something that is often subject to heated debates when people do not get fast torrent downloads; which might be due to limited uploads or congestions anywhere in the WWW but people like on blaming it on their DSL or ISP.
    Of course you can test to the local server as a first step but alone the result is somewhat meaningless unless you suspect a fault between your home and the ISP.
    Last edited by Raccon; 17-10-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Indeed, but it is the only part of the service for which the ISP gives any guarantee of bandwidth - beyond that it's all "best efforts".

Have switched to the recomended Buffalo Gigabit Lan card and am getting:-

Cwbguy - which plan on HKBN did you sign up for?

Anyone has any experience with ThreeHK they are offering 1GB fibre to home. I have just made an appointment for their engineer to come next week. I subscribe to their 200Mbs locally (80% guarantee), 30mbs overseas (they claimed, no guarantee)

If anyone has experience recently love to hear how is your experience before I commit ;-)