Like Tree2Likes

How fast is your Net connection?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie yeoh:
    I'm using HGC Broadband in Whampoa. Fast in the daytime. It slows down to dial-up speed after 4 pm. Speeds up again at 7 am next morning.
    It's a 100 Mb line which slows to 1 Mb.
    1Mbit/s is hardly "dialup" - it's still 20 times faster than dialup (56kbit/s). In many parts of the world 256kbit/s is regarded as "broadband".

Those of us old enough to remember 300bit/s modems (bigger than a netbook computer) know what "dialup" really means.
    Last edited by PDLM; 27-06-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Smart answers from some people who post. You're not getting the point of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by ronnie yeoh; 27-06-2009 at 03:29 PM.

And yet at the same time in the mid-levels at the same time as watching NOW TV!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    1Mbit/s is hardly "dialup" - it's still 20 times faster than dialup (56kbit/s). In many parts of the world 256kbit/s is regarded as "broadband".

Those of us old enough to remember 300bit/s modems (bigger than a netbook computer) know what "dialup" really means.
    I remember the ones where you put the handset of the telephone onto the Modem to connect!

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie yeoh:
    I'm using HGC Broadband in Whampoa. Fast in the daytime. It slows down to dial-up speed after 4 pm. Speeds up again at 7 am next morning.
    It's a 100 Mb line which slows to 1 Mb. This happens daily like clockwork. One thing for sure is that HGC is consistent!
    Will not see the outcome yet. They keep sending technicians to test my line. Technicians report that it's fine! Huh? I'm having an ongoing argument with HGC for 2 months now.
    I don't recommend HGC Broadband.
    ronnie thanks for your input, i'm really considering HGC coz even at it's slowest it couldn't be worst than i-cable, or could it?

can you try to use this to test your speed at those said time IF you dont mind, thanks

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

here's mins on a sunday @ 3pm

Oh, it is worse when it's slow at night. I have a 100 Mb/s line. The pic shown says I get slow broadband speed of 0.76 Mb/s download. When in use, it's even slower. Pages takes 20 seconds to load. You can't watch CNN streaming video or YouTube. In the day time, it's fine as I get 75 Mb/s download and 65 Mb/s upload.
    HGC has offered to waive my bill for next month until they have a fix. As long as they give me half the service, I wish to only pay half the fees.

Here's mine on Sunday 3.50 pm.

Last edited by ronnie yeoh; 28-06-2009 at 03:50 PM.

wow! that's realy slow man! i guess there could be a problem in the cabling or something ???

Can't be cabling. It slows from 4 pm till 7 am the next morning for 15 hours. Then from 7 am to 4 pm, it's fast for 9 hours.
    This slowing and speeding up happens daily, like clockwork. Except Saturdays and Sundays where it slows for 48 hours. HGC came to test my line since I started the service and blamed everything from my modem to the cabling. A faulty modem or cabling wouldn't slow and speed up at the exact time everyday, would it? This has got to be controlled by HGC.

Last edited by ronnie yeoh; 28-06-2009 at 05:52 PM.

hmmmmmm now that got me thinking, my other option would be Hong Kong Broadband OR remain with i-cable :P

I have another post somewhere in Geoexpat where other forums users experience the same slowdown using HGC. I initially used i-Cable, too. It's frustrating, too but in a different sort of way. But I just wanted their cable TV. Internet is provided free for 6 months only. I have since cancelled it and went with HGC.
    Check around other users and see. I'd also like to know what is a reliable ISP in HK.
    I heard stories from my wife of how great HK ISP services are. That doesn't seem to be the case with HGC.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast