Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jgl

Trade in computer monitor?

Closed Thread

Trade in computer monitor?

Are there any computer stores that will do a trade in for a computer monitor?

I'm aware selling on carousell is an option, but wanted to know if there's trade-in available similar to camera stores that will do trade-ins of lenses.

Used monitors are big and low value, not really the kind of things most space-constrained, high rental computer stores are going to want to bother with.

There are 24" monitors going for $300 in SSP from secondhand retail stores. That should give you some idea as how how little value these things retain. And then you'd have to spend the time and effort carrying the monitor there and haggling with them.

(I would be curious to find if workable options exist, but am dubious.)

Map to secondhand gear stores:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...g%2F11j20m2613

shri and emx like this.

I agree, unless it's somewhat special - large, 4K, high refresh, etc. - it's unlikely to be worth much...

And if it was special, trade in value would still likely be under private resale price.

Camera lenses are a totally different story. They don't get replaced with new models every year, they are compact, they are high value.

Though I do wonder what's going to happen to dlsr lenses now that Nikon will drop out of the market.

Photographic Equipment = Yes/ Maybe
    Other Electronics (PC/ Phone/ Notebook/Tab & the likes) = NO/ Low re-sale Value

In electronics, no matter how sophisticated or elaborate the thing is, in time it will devalue a Lot!
    I design PCB's & no matter how intricate & how many hours was spent making it, one day it will just be in the bin

Give it to one of the guys sitting around at the entrance of the Ko Shing Street rubbish disposal centre.

Last year I gave my replaced 22" Dell to a cleaner.

Before that I tried to give it away but none of my friends was interested.

Drop it at: https://www.wastereduction.gov.hk/en.../crn_intro.htm
    You get some points and can exchange for bag of instant noodles. Hey that's what frugality is.

Perhaps repurpose it into a Smart Mirror or Smart Coffee Table?

https://youtu.be/OYlloiaBINo

Interesting idea.

Monitors tend to change/ improve quite a bit quite rapidly eg 4k, fast response, USBC etc. Monitors from even just a few years ago would be regarded as quite 'old'. I don't do cameras so I have no idea with lenses, but I suspect they don't change that much that quickly. As others have said, unless it is a 'special' monitor, it won't have much value.

I dug out a 'spare' monitor to replace my Apple monitor that just died. It was a reasonably pricey one with 3D gimmick from 2015, and the 'downgrade' was obvious - 1080p instead of 1440 and worst of all, it'd somehow acquired a pink hue. Changing cables, other monitors etc seems to pinpoint it to the monitor itself going kaput rather than other components.