Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Google Voice doesn't work in Hong Kong?

Google Voice doesn't work in Hong Kong?

We found Google Voice doesn't work in Hong Kong. In specific, Google Voice in WhatsApp stop working.

We had problems with other Google products such Gmail is slow or unreliable. Such as using Gmail for quick identity verification.

Not sure with Google Map either.

Do any of you depends on Google products in Hong Kong?

Pretty much everything we use is google .. mail, calendar, drive, chat, docs, maps, reviews and few more things. GeoExpat runs on Google servers too.

Not familiar enough with Google voice have never used it .

Chances are if core products like maps, Gmail and YouTube are slow, you have a problem with your ISP.

If the core google products are slow, then it's your connection.

alexdown likes this.

WTF does "Google Voice in Whatsapp" mean?

Also, if you're talking about actual Google Voice, the virtual phone line, voice mail transcription etc. service that has never been a thing that existed in Hong Kong

Hangouts dialer was a reasonablely good way to call home but they discontinued it last year and said fuck it, we're not going to allow voice to work the same way...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Hangouts dialer was a reasonablely good way to call home but they discontinued it last year and said fuck it, we're not going to allow voice to work the same way...
    They changed it back to google voice. But you need to download it on US App Store. After you download app you can change back to hk App Store. If you use android you can probably just sideload the APK file. I still text and call everyone I know in the US using my google voice number. Everyone I know back home still uses SMS instead of WhatsApp or something similar….

Quote Originally Posted by Miaofromcali:
    I still text and call everyone I know in the US
    You mean...SMS?? 😱😱😱

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    You mean...SMS?? ���������������� �
    oops yup, i mean SMS. But my younger relatives always ask me if I got snapchat.

Thank you for your direct messages. Yes, Google has moved their servers & operation from Hong Kong. Much like Tiktok. Google is quitting Hong Kong & China.