Like Tree2Likes

HKBN and their dreadful "Fiber"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKBN and their dreadful "Fiber"

I have been using HKBN for a while now. Before it was good but in the past year or so I noticed the speed drops a lot.

Why I am writing that you say? This is the second time my box breaks down for no reason other than they're probably using the cheapest components they can find.

Now because I need/can work from home I decided to test using my hotspot on my phone via 4G, and wow it is so much faster. Like basically no wait when I press the back button. On my PC I was using HKBN fiber and connected via Ethernet cable. You would assume it would be faster?

Am I missing something or is it just the fact that with the WFH thing they did not predict the capacity or something? I am not the only one experiencing the same problem in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:

It's my second modem that does so I know all the troubleshooting steps. Reset does nothing.

Good call-out. I agree. I have noticed the overall service deterioration. The speed is not good, and it shows 'not connected' sometimes. I have been on mesh router but recently noticed service isn't what it used to be.

Plutark likes this.

1 year on in the village and it's as advertised.

Ethernet cable slight above 561mbs down/ 541 up

Phone similar at 528mbs down/556mbs up

From https://www.speedtest.net/ it was just slightly under at 494 but after third try same results, this while we're streaming a a movie.

I had issues with the overall speeds at the start as my laptop was primary interface with modem, had to keep switching the Wifi mode to "N" and make sure 5G was preferred

In the end a lot better than PCCW's 100mbs (@same cost) but receive 60-80mbs and frequent outages! But overall internet in HK is rubbish for what you pay...

No problems with their equipment failing we are on a newer modem that they upgraded a few years ago.. no problems with the old one too.

Service is fine with Netflix streaming and a bunch of other devices browsing etc ..

Perhaps best to just call them - they have been very responsive to us when we have told them that we work from home or the kid has been studying from home when we have had some external issues like a damaged cable etc..

muzzdang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    No problems with their equipment failing we are on a newer modem that they upgraded a few years ago.. no problems with the old one too.

Service is fine with Netflix streaming and a bunch of other devices browsing etc ..

Perhaps best to just call them - they have been very responsive to us when we have told them that we work from home or the kid has been studying from home when we have had some external issues like a damaged cable etc..
    Yeah I use CMHK fibre which I believe uses HKBN and I haven't really had issues. The WiFi speeds are what they should be although I never really try ethernet at home since we don't have desktops anymore.

I think it's the areas with huge buildings and lots of families. I have 1000 mbps fiber and with the brand new modem I get 93 mbps, there like one mobile connected on the wifi. HKBN guy said it's because of the router but my router is fine it's 500 mbps ok but why should I upgrade to 1000 if it doesn't even go to 100..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I think it's the areas with huge buildings and lots of families. I have 1000 mbps fiber and with the brand new modem I get 93 mbps, there like one mobile connected on the wifi. HKBN guy said it's because of the router but my router is fine it's 500 mbps ok but why should I upgrade to 1000 if it doesn't even go to 100..... clueless
    I'm getting 700-800m on WiFi on my laptop. Maybe 400 on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    I'm getting 700-800m on WiFi on my laptop. Maybe 400 on my phone.
    see it's definitely my area and they won't acknowledge it. I know a few people around reporting the same issue.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast