Like Tree13Likes

Putting wechat on my phone?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I did not use it after the project and it kicked me off. In order to get back on again, you have to have a "friend" on wechat who validates you
    THIS 😑

Validatn best done when friend is physically w you, there's a time period. I never managed to get back on somehow bcoz the option to do so dies after a few tries and the other reset options didn't work so I just gave up completely in the end. No wechat.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

@AsianXpat0 too tempting to not ask 😅 but of coz no need to answer if dun want but was there anything really that special abt those convos that gave u selective msges.. or not really..

@Bob Loblaw so you mean like a crosshack of your other phone apps or phone thru wechat? Haven't heard of this happening yet I hope..

Bob Loblaw likes this.

1.24 billion users on WeChat.
    Of course there will be people with multiple accounts.
    You are but an insignificant string of binary number in the system.

I have weechat on my UK number so as to discuss stuff with my staff in China.
    Let the CCP hear my phone calls if they want. its usually my mrs nagging about something

Bob Loblaw likes this.

Well, I have been using WeChat for friends* in China for the last eight years without problems (*friends without VPNs, which are needed for WhatsApp in China).

Bob Loblaw likes this.

@sarsi when you write it like that it does sound kind of paranoid, but yes, "like a crosshack" is what I mean.

Is there now a clicking sound at the start of phone calls?
    Not competent in this area at all and only have 2nd hand info so it'll be the naturally suspicious advising the perhaps paranoid.. 😂.. I suppose gd enuff until someone comes by to set us straight ;p

So disregarding any direct wechat surveillance/tracking, so far haven't heard of any backdoor in wechat that can allow eg ccp or others to use and hack ur phone.. so it's just the usual risk level re hacking..
    Bob Loblaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    @AsianXpat0 too tempting to not ask ������ but of coz no need to answer if dun want but was there anything really that special abt those convos that gave u selective msges.. or not really..

@Bob Loblaw so you mean like a crosshack of your other phone apps or phone thru wechat? Haven't heard of this happening yet I hope..
    Nothing special about those convos, I have Mainland ex-colleagues and it was personal news, even my yellow-camp HK ex-colleagues received those messages… but they may not have the same Wechat wall I do/did.

No option for a Hong Kong number in the sign up process. Not under H for Hong Kong, nor under C for China - Hong Kong, nor a search for 852 in the search field.

Is there another special wechat app somewhere just for HK? If so, where's the APK?

p.s I also got my UK number blocked. Reason given: I haven't used it in a long time. I guess I tried using that number before years ago when I probably had the same problem, perhaps.