anybody seen this wlan usb adapter?

Closed Thread

anybody seen this wlan usb adapter?

Ive been looking for this usb adapter for weeks now, i used to have one before i came to Macao but i broke it, ordered through eBay 2 months ago but got ripped off so purchasing online is out of the question. here's what it looks like: Microcom: Alfa AWUS036H US$59.95.

i went to the golden arcade computer center a few weeks ago, it was kinda hard to look for it since there was like a sale or something when i went there and the place was packed! i was able to ask a few stores, said they never heard of it. the adapter was made in taiwan so i was hoping i could find one in hk. anyone seen it? i need it badly for work...

btw, how many floors that sell computer stuff are there on the golden comp. center? ive seen the g/f were they sell all kinds of pc stuff and the 1st flr were they sell gaming consoles, am i missing something? ill be going back there again next week, any ideas where i should start?

any kind of info would be nice!

3 floors.

The USB WiFi adapter you listed looks overly dated, i.e. it's frigging huge. This is what they look like today:

Newegg.com - NETGEAR WG111 v3 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption - Wireless Adapters

Mark, it sounds like you have missed 1 floor, which is easily done. Come back out onto the street and walk around the building. You should see another entrance with (I think) a watch shop straight ahead inside and a remote control car shop to the left inside. Walk in and then take the escalator up to the right (not very clear instructions, but I hope they help).

Honestly though, I'd be very surprised if you can find that particular item - it's pretty old as MrMoo has said.

Last edited by Bungle; 31-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.

darn, just as what i suspected! i missed one floor, my friend told me there were 3 floors. a bit tricky to find the other one. i hope the place wouldnt be packed like before. thanks for the info guys, appreciated it.

maybe your right, i might not find this adapter here.. yeah its a bit old but the adapter has the power of 500mw plus it works flawlessly with the sofwares we currently use for pentesting. i once was able to connect to an AP a kilometer away with a clear LOS using a cantenna..

thanks again! btw is there any other places like the golden computer center i could go and check...i might get lucky!

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by mark3510:
    .. i once was able to connect to an AP a kilometer away with a clear LOS using a cantenna..
    Not bad! So cantennas do work, eh? In HK you may find it hard to get such a clean long LOS, unless the AP is in IFC2 or BOC or something.

WHY DON'T YOU CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER DIRECTLY

www.alfa.com.tw.

Packet injection

I recently contacted the manufacturer, they don't sell it to consumers and have no HK distributor.

They said to try "Wifi City" in China - they didn't give a website. It may have a different housing.

Last edited by zerocred; 06-01-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Did anyone find one of these in Hong Kong??