Broadband internet

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

HGC is $160 per month for 10Mbps unlimited.

jaykay.. HGC is using VDSL technology instead of ADSL. Do you have any idea if the baseband phone filters are the same like in ADSL? Do you use a DSL router too so you can provide internet access to more than one PC in your house?

Well, I cant remeber the costs that my mum got on her netvigator, but it was an annual cost, that she says wasnt much. i ve BTed (bittorrented) more stuff than satan, even having that "rape" my connection the average bit rate (that is split between 2 machines and soon to be 3) has been running fine. Only when my mum watches brazilans soaps online do we have to knock the d/ling down so other than that they aint bad, but if there was a faster service package I would deffinately get it. (I do multi-media stuff )

ASDL flavors in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    HGC is $160 per month for 10Mbps unlimited.

11-06-05 @ 11:32

That SOUNDS nice till you find out that HGC only operates in certain areas of HK, and, if I'm not mistaken, that 10Mbit/s second is "shared" amongst several/many users.

I was seduced by a phone + Broadband promotion for $99 a month - but was very quickly disabused when I was told that (Wharf Cable) could not support a telephone service to my location in Pokfulam Road. This despite my family having TWO legitimate iCable converters here.

I recall that a HGC user in Bloated Plutocrat Li Kah Shing's South Horizons had a fast HGC connection - he said that there was a Server in his block, but he was moving to a different block -- and would lose that service altogether.

So, it seems that you *have* to be *lucky* as to where you live as to which ISP you can connect to.

...a nd remember, some months ago when some residents found out that they were paying for HGC connections which they didn't want / use - a fee hidden in their monthly "Management Fees" !

I are using PCCW Broadband and I am very satisfied with the service. When I signed up, it said it is $170 per month for 6M. But my computer shows the speed is 100M.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by travelem:
    I are using PCCW Broadband and I am very satisfied with the service. When I signed up, it said it is $170 per month for 6M. But my computer shows the speed is 100M.
    100M is your ethernet (network) speed between your PC and DSL modem (or router) and not your internet speed

Personally 10mbits line is far too little for a heavy duty service user like myself but I dont know anywhere I can get a higher speed and I dont think I would be able to rig an optic-cable up to my flat like major business have...

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Can't say about 10mbps, but HGC has been said to claim that being new they deploy fibre optics cables, not copper. Don't know if it covers last mile too in areas they cover. Check, maybe you can get lucky, Taguro.

Quote Originally Posted by Taguro:
    Personally 10mbits line is far too little for a heavy duty service user like myself but I dont know anywhere I can get a higher speed and I dont think I would be able to rig an optic-cable up to my flat like major business have...
    As for me, I'm a heavy duty service user and PCCW offers of 64K upload speed isn't enough for me. The download speed is very good though.

kostas, you are right HGC is using VDSL technology which I have found very quick here. The building is obviously wired as all we have is a RJ45 socket box on the wall to connect directly to an ethernet connetion on a PC, or directly into a switch if you want to set up a few machines on one connection. I use a wireless access point which is fine for my PC, laptop and PDA when I'm feeling extremely lazy!

As someone mentioned you cannot get HGC everywhere, but here we cannot get PCCW! Different apartment blocks have differring technologies installed. You just have to see whats available in your area and pick the right one.