Broadband internet

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillig Phantom:
    As for me, I'm a heavy duty service user and PCCW offers of 64K upload speed isn't enough for me. The download speed is very good though.
    That, indeed, is the pisser. There's no Syncronous DSL for "normal" users ... we are all "stuck" with ADSL and 640K/bits/sec for all uploads regardless of what our download speed is!

Yeah, the original message read "64K/bits/sec" - I unfortunately dropped the "Least significant number" - which rather mad a mess of my observations. I guess that growing elderly does not improve my "proof-reading". <Wry Smile>.
    Last edited by Lok Man Loong; 13-06-2005 at 10:11 AM.

64Kbps upload? I think you mean 640Kbps..

What do they know? They're just dumb criminals...

(since I can't think of any personal activity which would require consistent heavy usage of that sort of bandwidth which isn't basically theft)

Last edited by berryplucker; 13-06-2005 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berryplucker:
    What do they know? They're just dumb criminals...

(since I can't think of any personal activity which would require consistent heavy usage of that sort of bandwidth which isn't basically theft)

13-06-05 @ 10:13

Well, I would tend to agree with you for "personal use", but for "Business Users" shifting massive amounts of data between far-flung branches, to be limited to around 640Kbits/sec - effectively *each way* [if you think about it], isn't a great way of conducting business.

Agreed, but businesses have business standard connections rather than home-user connections.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    kostas, you are right HGC is using VDSL technology which I have found very quick here. The building is obviously wired as all we have is a RJ45 socket box on the wall to connect directly to an ethernet connetion on a PC, or directly into a switch if you want to set up a few machines on one connection. I use a wireless access point which is fine for my PC, laptop and PDA when I'm feeling extremely lazy!

As someone mentioned you cannot get HGC everywhere, but here we cannot get PCCW! Different apartment blocks have differring technologies installed. You just have to see whats available in your area and pick the right one.
    Jaykay thanks for the reply. I guess your estate falls in the category where they have already a contract with a major telco company. So in your case you are not in position to control your own connection, set up a server or do whatever you like. My estate also provides broadband connection (the whole estate and every room is wired) but I prefered to go ahead with my own, private, connection. If somebody wants to sniff my packets I prefer it to be done by somebody not related to the estate

Know what you mean kostas. It's not my favourite way of DSL connection but if it's the only way what can I do........!!!

Still at least it's reliable and my firewall hasn't had any major work to do, I would imagine that HGC has their own server/firewall setup somewhere in the locality. One thing I do like is that it os sooooo much cheaper than the UK with no data size restrictions. But we may move soon and then it's back to the drawing board to find a new supplier!!

HK ISPs and Capping

Is there any of that nasty capping (restricting volume of monthly data transfer) we Canadians must constantly guard against?

Nope. No capping!