Broadband internet

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Broadband and Digital Home Line offer by i-cable

Hello all,

Have just moved to Hong Kong, was wondering if anyone has used or is currently using the stated i-cable offer of broadband and wharf T&T digital phone line. The speed for broadband is 10M but that is shared by the entire building, should I be asking questions that I can't think of at the moment. Never used digital phone, have been advised against it by guys at PCCW- any thoughts??

I cable what I have heard has not always been that good, but I do know that HCG was offering a residential phone line + broadband connection for under $200....

You might want to check their site and see what is the current deals they have.

Talking

I am using PCCW connection along with broadband TV. Good deal I guess. Speed is ok for chatting and info searches...I also had video conferencing, which was good. Voice chat with US and Indian offices were good... So I guess PCCW is good.......

PCCW broadband is good if you are really interested in the internet connections - which are fast and reliable. i had vere any issues over the past 8 months of using the service. however.... if you get the package and get overexcited about the TV, then don't. while technologically, the solution with TV over the phone line might be advanced, the contents you get in the basic package is just crap.

bbc world and bloomberg are the only worthwhile channels, plus the travel channel on discovery. the rest is just not realy useful for an english speaker.
    if you want to pay extra for each channel selection, you will get somewhat more, but still not good enough. i have heard that i cable has much better contents offer
    ania

I have never used i-cable, but have only heard and read bad things about it. There have been numerous complaints about their service is the South China Morning Post.

I have been using HGC for the past few months now and haven't experienced any problems. Sometimes though you are restricted not just by who supplies the area, but also who supplies the building! If I moved into the apartment block next to ours I wouldn't be able to get HGC!!

Broadband internet

Hi,

I'm looking to get a broadband connection. I just been to the netvigator website. Where they say 198 HK$/month for unlimited broadband access. But the details state that you get 20hours access for that, with a 2$ fee for every additional hour.
    So
    a) thats not really "unlimited"
    b) in my home country, you just pay a monthly fee, can stay online as long as you want but your download traffic is limited (something around 30gigs) a month

Are there providers that are not limited by hours in HK?

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

There are unlimited deals. Check with sales people hanging around with ISP placards outside Wanchai Computer Centre and CWB near Broadway. Their deals are usually better than official ones from ISP websites.

Nobody actually takes the standard price off the website. Talk to Netvigator - they have very good unlimited deals (really unlimited).

For TV content in English the only real reason to get Cable TV would be for the EPL. Otherwise NOW has pretty much everything that Cable has, plus ESPNStar and BBC Prime.

Spamvigator

11-06-05 @ 00:01

I was a long+time subscriber to HKNet.com & then I was "Sold into Slavery" - HKNet handed us over to "Spamvigator" some months ago.

Previously I was paying HK$134 per month for 24/7/365 unlimited 1.5Mbit/sec.

I can't have anything less than 3Mbit/sec now - and have to fork out $145 per month. However, my "DU Meter" program shows I'm getting up to 3.3Mbits/Sec now. I turned down their offer of NOW TV.

I still have access to HKNet for dial-up & only get charged PNets - I needed it when my 3Comm ADSL modem failed recently - changed in less than 24 hours by a PCCW contractor.

I still get SPAM via both ISPs - but I filter and blacklist & Bounce the crap by using Firetrust.com's "Mailwasher". Suspect e'mails & "nasties" get destroyed at the ISPs' servers and never get on to my systems.

Urgent consideration should be given to installing "Mailwasher" as well as Zone Alarm Firewall, and going to GRC.COM for switching off & immobilising several nasty "features" in Windows.

Of course, if the reader enjoys getting Worms/Trojans,Virus & spyware into his/her computer, then go ahead and ignore my suggestions.

I am in the same case.. I was in HKNet and now I am in Netvigator. $148 for 3Mbps per month.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast