Streaming BBC iplayer programs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Streaming BBC iplayer programs

All,

I am in need of some help. I consider myself a reasonably tech literate user but cannot find a solution to my problem.

I have managed (through accessing a VPN network in the UK) to setup my iMac to download BBC iplayer programs.

My iMac is on a wireless network in my apartment through an apple extreme router. It is also in the study and not in the room where either of the TV's are. What I would like to do is to play the programs on my iMac and stream it to my TV using some device that will connect to my TV and receive the programs streamed over my wireless network. I cannot us apple TV as it only streams programs that can be played through itunes and the BBC iplayer programs are DRM protected and can only be played through the BBC player.

It is not the end of the world as the screen on the iMac is large enough to watch it is just that the study is not the most comfortable place for the wife and I to watch the programs.

I have searched endlessly on the net for a solution and have drawn a blank. The GEOtech heads are my last resort!!

Any help as ever greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

TFB

Cant help on the streaming. I intend to use a DVI adapter and physically connect my macbook to the TV.

What VPN service are you using ? I was planning to use VPNGates.

Any thoughts ?

Russ

I have been using my-private-network.co.uk

It is 5GBP per month and the support for the service is great and speed is good. I can easily stream programs without any latency.

Cheers,

TFB

Do you have a ps3 or xbox / xbox 360?

i use tversity, but that is with a windows pc.

you could try something like http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utiliti...Center-X.shtml

btw anyone know of a vpn which would offer both us and uk ip addresses on their vpn server (that way could watch hulu and bbc iplayer).

The one I use only has UK IP but I believe the VPNGates service does ones for US.

do not have a PS3 or xbox, have never really been a gamer...

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbeagle:
    do not have a PS3 or xbox, have never really been a gamer...
    hmm, you are going to need some sort of media box to connect to your TV then, which will stream the contents for you from your imac.

i guess the other option, could you connect your imac directly to your tv?

yes I could connect the iMac to the TV but it is a hassle to do this as the TV is in the other room. What I am really looking for is as you say, some type of box to connect to the TV that I can control from my mac to stream the content from the mac. Perhaps there isn't somethingn like this.

The main thing is being able to watch the programs and it is not the end of the world to watch them in the computer room, will just have to invest in a comfy chair!!

Presumably you could record them onto some sort of recording device (DVD?) and then play that back on the TV?

PDLM, I have tried the recording route but the programs are drm protected and cannot be recorded or played on anything other than the BBC player.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast