Windows update crashes Explorer ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Problem solved.
    It seems to lie in Norton e mail scanning.
    Switch off " scan outgoing " and it works.

Using Hotmail in Firefox, the browser highlights the attach tab but does not open it. I will put up with that because shiretoko, even as a beta is pretty damn fine.

Last edited by PDLM; 13-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Fair comment, but its never happened to me that this facility will crash the application. Normally you get a window warning that the attachment is blocked etc etc.

What now pisses me off is Norton continually shows we at risk because of my choice of options. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    What now pisses me off is Norton continually shows we at risk because of my choice of options.
    Because Norton's a steaming pile of shit? Try a better AV like NOD32, AVG, and I think some people like Avira these days.

I find Norton (& McAfee) far, far too intrusive for very little gain. Personally I don't run any anti-virus software. I have a firewall (well two actually - one on the router and one on my PC) and a selection of cleanup tools to hand which get run regularly to clean out tracking cookies and all that sort of stuff, and as needed to cope with the very rare (far less than once a year) occasions that I might get infected by a virus through carelessness. If you are reasonably computer-literate and you use common sense then viruses are really not a major threat. But as with so many aspects of the control/government by fear that was being discussed in another thread, there are huge profits to be made by encouraging people to think that there is something to be afraid of. If even a tiny fraction of that sum was spent on simple user education then the net effect would be the same or better.

Last edited by PDLM; 14-02-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo

Having used Norton for many years I agree with Mr Moo in regard of the latest version of it and have also been advise to go down the " hard wall " route.

When I upgrade my system soon, to the AM3 motherboard I have been drooling over, then that will be the opportunity to get back to basics instead of being sucked it the undoubted crap that is on the market today.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    get back to basics instead of being sucked it the undoubted crap that is on the market today.
    An alternative is to install the free Windows Defender from Microsoft for general spyware et al, and clamwin32 for manual scans. If you download something or have a CD you can right click and scan in Explorer.

I tried defender when it first came out.
    Has it improved to something useful now? It seemed to miss a lot of stuff and I trialed it for 6 months. Found it lacked the coverage and Norton, even now, did a better job.

Comodo....or ZoneAlarm