sata as bootable drive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sata as bootable drive

Have installed new mother board GA-MA78GM-US2H with Phenom x 3, 4 gb ram and conned it into running on a preformed IDE HDD. It was designated I: drive before but has taken up the default C:.

I say conned because XP still requires a frigging floppy with driver in repair or setup and I don't have one. So full install over writting windows on the ( now ) C: drive gets me up and running.

After doing all the updating to SP3

Connected Sata set on RAID 0 ( was partitioned c: d: e: f: g: h: )

Firstly ( and strangely ) MY COMPUTER only shows c: e: f : g: h: i: so I have lost one partition ident . This partition may not have had any data in it but should still show - right ? I haven't lost any info It just seems to have been reassigned other partion letters.

Secondly I want now to regain the SATA drive as the primary drive and relegate the IDE back to archive ( as the I: drive ).

Thirdly I realise that my version of XP is 32bit and will not identify more than 4gb of memory. I have that amount installed ( In slots 12 and two, paired correctly 2 x 2gb ddr800 ) but it only reads 2.75gb - strange.

Would appreciate comment on 1st and 3rd + apps for achieving 2nd item.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Connected Sata set on RAID 0 ( was partitioned c: d: e: f: g: h: )

Firstly ( and strangely ) MY COMPUTER only shows c: e: f : g: h: i: so I have lost one partition ident . This partition may not have had any data in it but should still show - right ? I haven't lost any info It just seems to have been reassigned other partion letters.
    Not really sure about your other problems as I don't know much about computers... But the reason why you can't find D is that XP may have self designated that to be the letter for the optical dive - try changing it perhaps (?). If you don't have a DVD/CD player than I'm not sure.

That's my 2 cents, anyhow... Probably didn't help much.

After doing all the updating to SP3
    Slipstream yourself a SP3 XP install CD and unless you have some really scrub hardware the SATA devices should work fine.

You're not going to realistically change the system drive letter as Windows and apps will hard code the letter everywhere.

The order of disks is decided by the BIOS, so get that sorted out first. You can simply remove the IDE disk to install and add it in later if it is conflicting all the time.

You can go to the Disk manager to check the disks. Drive D might be disabled or inactive. Go to Start, right click on my computer, then click on manage, from the computer management menu, go to disk manager. from there check the disks, change drive letter, format partitions. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker:
    You can go to the Disk manager to check the disks. Drive D might be disabled or inactive. Go to Start, right click on my computer, then click on manage, from the computer management menu, go to disk manager. from there check the disks, change drive letter, format partitions. Hope this helps.
    Many thanks on that. Solves one of the probs.

Boris, on the third one, if you have XP pro, it can support up to 4GB of memory, including the memory in your graphic card. The most you see is 3GB on the computer property. The < 4GB is used by various user and system process processes. It is a waste of 1GB of memory unless you go to the 64bit OS.

I have XP Home and not Pro. Seems to me that after all this time they would have support for larger memory, but maybe they did nothing to get people to buy Vista. Didn't work for me though.

Are there any third party apps that solve this ?

Not that I know off.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker:
    It is a waste of 1GB of memory unless you go to the 64bit OS.
    XP Pro and Vista normally allow 3.5GB, video memory is irrelevant. PAE is a hardware feature that allows access to beyond the 32-bit limit, but Microsoft's support seems limited to it's server range:

Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

I have XP Home and not Pro. Seems to me that after all this time they would have support for larger memory, but maybe they did nothing to get people to buy Vista. Didn't work for me though.

Are there any third party apps that solve this ?
    Just FYI, even 32-bit Vista won't let you see/use more memory than XP - need the 64-bit version for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast