Wi-Fi issues with Dell notebook

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Max - Are you using bittorrent? That can mess routers up pretty badly as most of them don't have the memory to deal with 100's of p2p clients.

Usually turning off the device and waiting 10-15 mins works for us (as a new IP address gets reassigned).

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Shri, unfortunately nope, no BT...at least not usually. Earlier I didn't get the speeds to make using BT a viable possibility. Now that I am, I think I just might try, LOL!

Max,

The most secure security you can use would be WPA/WPA2 TKIP or AES. AES is said to be the strongest encryption possible at the moment, and it has not been cracked - but give it a wiff and see how it works for yourself.

Since you're on a G connection, I don't see yourself having the need for WPA/WPA2, but if you're wanting an extra bit of security, that might be an option for you.

Other then that, I hope your connection holds up. AFAIK, using a channel different from others is better because it causes less interference. If possible, also try to see if you can connect using a 5.2 ghz band instead of the traditional 2.8 ghz range.

I myself am having some issues with my Dell laptop, but that's incase I'm using an Intel 5300 AGN (In my opinion, a POS) card that's known to have serious issues with N connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    So far I'm using WEP with a pretty robust password (IMHO - aplhanumeric), but I'm interested in using higher security protocols though I'm not familiar with the details. Can anyone suggest which is the best and easiest to set up?
    Im glad that you got it working, its hard to fix this kind of problems, just an advice DO NOT USE WEP, whatever password you use its still easy for hacking kiddies to obtain a key to connect to your network. as every time we crack a key its not the exact password that you use but a set of numbers and letters that allows me to connect to your network, trust me it only takes minutes...

like what mr turtle said WPA AES is the best protection you can get thought its not perfect...the method of cracking the password for WPA as of now is only through dictionary attacks which like what i said before, it frustrates hackers as its very time and cpu consuming.. i got a 120GB dictionary and my success rate is only 5% to 10% others even have 500gb dictionaries running on a tri gpu pc still it takes them days even weeks.