re: Dell Notebook Repair in HKG

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

re: Dell Notebook Repair in HKG

Does anyone know where I can have my M1330 motherboard replaced? Warranty has expired. Any recommendations are appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

out of warranty huh?
    call the sales number and demand they sell you the new motherboard
    failing that you're going to have to go ebay hunting. which will be cheaper than any store you walk into.

if you dont want to do the repair yourself. shenzhen is the best bet but there's also a guy on the 2nd or 3rd floor of wanchai computer centre who claims to do laptop repairs. ive seen him fixing up a few dells.

Quote Originally Posted by tlo:
    Does anyone know where I can have my M1330 motherboard replaced? Warranty has expired. Any recommendations are appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.
    hi tlo, what happened to your dell m1330 motherboard? is it defective? so you don't recommend buying dell?

Quote Originally Posted by cgbishop:
    so you don't recommend buying dell?
    Hmm, dell are pretty basic stuff. That's why they're a bit cheaper compared to fujitsu or sony.

anyway, what seems to be the problem with the laptop?

hi all, in case anyone wonder, the Nvidia video chip in M1330 known to burn itself out easily due to poor design on the cooler system. check on the web or community forum at Dell, you will find that many has exactly the same problem. I didnt realise this problem until my notebook crashed quite often recently, showing BSOD w/ an error reads NMI : Memory Parity Error... By the time, I came to know this, I went to buy a notebook cooler pad, hoping to save it. Unfortunately, it died on me yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyFitz:
    out of warranty huh?
    call the sales number and demand they sell you the new motherboard
    failing that you're going to have to go ebay hunting. which will be cheaper than any store you walk into.

if you dont want to do the repair yourself. shenzhen is the best bet but there's also a guy on the 2nd or 3rd floor of wanchai computer centre who claims to do laptop repairs. ive seen him fixing up a few dells.
    thanks..I will try get a quote

hmm, I have a dell m1330 myself. I just bought it last July 2008. I haven't had the problem yet though. but there was a time when my monitor had these strange vertical dotted lines. i had to press the "DELL" logo part of the monitor (below) to make it disappear. It hasn't happened since.

Quote Originally Posted by cgbishop:
    hmm, I have a dell m1330 myself. I just bought it last July 2008. I haven't had the problem yet though. but there was a time when my monitor had these strange vertical dotted lines. i had to press the "DELL" logo part of the monitor (below) to make it disappear. It hasn't happened since.
    Does yours come with the Intel or Nvidia video chip? If Nvidia, that's exactly the sign of failure on the video chip. BTW, I bought mine last April and never had any whatsoever problems until recently. It all started with some BSOD / NMI: Memory Parity Errors and a few freezes and one time of vertical dotted lines across the whole screen about a couples of days ago. I would strongly advise you to stop using your notebook until you have done this :

1. do the modification on the cooler system; check the web for the instruction. I have come across one with very good instruction; showing in steps w/ diagram. If you cant handle it, I would say pay a tech. to do it. FYI, the gap between the video chip die and the heat sink is too far apart. Dell's production guy has just applied a thick layer of thermal compound in between but as time passed, that thermal compound is failing in the transferring of the heat. Someone has suggested to place a small and thin piece of copper plate in between with high quality thermal compound applied on both sides.

2. get a good cooler pad....yeah i know it is more difficult than I thought. Went to Golden Computer Centre and $@#%$% couldnt believe you cant seems to get anything better than Cooler Master brand. Forget about those good brands you can get from the computer stores if you come from the states or Canada. You wouldnt find brand name like Vantec, Zalman, Thermaltake..etc. Oh Yeah, BTW, I cant find Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound as well in GCC.....Finally, I bought the one called Notepal, w/ 2 fans, by Cooler Master for HKD199.

Arctic Silver thermal paste is available on the 3rd floor of the 298 computer centre in Wan Chai. Thermal compound is pretty simple stuff though- I don't think that brand matters. (In fact, Vegemite has proven more effective at thermal transfer in testing, at least until it dries out).

Thanks for the info tlo.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast