Broadband Connection / I-Cable

Closed Thread

Question Broadband Connection / I-Cable

I am trying to connect my laptop to my i-cable broadband, and it does not work. Generally, my desktop is connected to the broadband. I wonder if there is some sort of IP address detection and only one computer has been allowed access to the broadband network ??? any i-cable subscribers that knows about it?

ermm try in command prompt

type "cmd" at > start > run

type in "ipconfig /release", do this on your windows desktop pc, then try plugging in the network cable into your laptop and connect again.

Yes there is (or at least there was when I last had i-cable a few years ago. It's not IP address (that's assigned by i-cable) it's the MAC address, which is an address which is programmed into the hardware of the ethernet interface and is, in principle, globally unique.

Unless your laptop has an ethernet interface that has a programmable MAC address then you have a problem. The easiest solution if you need to do this often is to get a cheap router and connect everything to the i-cable connection through that. When you set the router up you should tell it to "clone" the MAC address of your desktop BEFORE connecting the router to the i-cable connection.

Buy a cheap wireless router in Mong Kok.. A basic TP-link router should cost less than $180 (bargain with the seller). It has quite a few ethernet ports. Of course you can always use wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling168:
    I am trying to connect my laptop to my i-cable broadband, and it does not work. Generally, my desktop is connected to the broadband. I wonder if there is some sort of IP address detection and only one computer has been allowed access to the broadband network ??? any i-cable subscribers that knows about it?