Netvigator email problems - any ideas?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Ah - I wonder if this is it - my virus scanning is something my company controls (without me have any ability to influence it) so if they've changed it recently to something more stringent that might explain it....
    "cheap" anti-spam systems will silently discard messages without informing the recipient. Hotmail is quite often plagued with this problem. A better email system will notify you of blocked messages with some mechanism to recover them.

Hotmail, Yahoo!, Gmail have spam folders, for corporate mail if using something like the Barracuda Spam Firewall you will get a mail message with a link to view the quarantined email on the appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The chances of me getting more than 1GB of email between downloads is absolutely zero, so it's fine for me.

I simply do not believe in leaving all my email for ever on someone else's computer - it's far too likely to be compromised at some point.
    This is why I didn't want gmail. I completely agree.

PS....Still waiting for thunderbird to import my data, don't want to open Express and check my settings until that finishes!

Ah - I wonder if this is it - my virus scanning is something my company controls (without me have any ability to influence it) so if they've changed it recently to something more stringent that might explain it....
    this is actually a rather common error mesg, Microsoft's standard response is to "contact your antivirus vendor". There could be a patch for your antivirus software. Of course, you want to confirm the problem first.

Also take a look at Pegasus Mail, best email client IMHO. Thunderbird....hmmm, a bit clunky for me. Pegasus used to be a favorite for Uni. It's free, also commercial grade

Pegasus Mail

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    "cheap" anti-spam systems will silently discard messages without informing the recipient. Hotmail is quite often plagued with this problem. A better email system will notify you of blocked messages with some mechanism to recover them.

Hotmail, Yahoo!, Gmail have spam folders, for corporate mail if using something like the Barracuda Spam Firewall you will get a mail message with a link to view the quarantined email on the appliance.
    The one thing I doubt our system is, is "cheap" !!!

I wish! While my company owns the pc this is not an option ....!
    My employer's owned the PCs I used too. But if they wanted me to use it then they needed to give me admin rights. Obviously they wanted me badly enough.

The trick is to pester the IT people so much (and to get your bopss to pester them so much about your loss of productivity) that they give up in frustration. The flipside of course is that when something breaks you are on your own, but that was never remotely close to be ing as stressful as having to deal with the spotty kids in IT "support" and all their control freakery.

By the way, the fact that you are able to install new applications says to me that you have at least "power user" privileges. What makes you think you can't turn off the control freakery? Have you tried? The key thing you have to get rid of is the programme which monitors your PC and reports back if you change stuff. It might well be called Citrix.
    Last edited by PDLM; 15-05-2009 at 07:15 PM.

While I realise you are trying to be helpful, comments like this are not. My clients are simple types who like email and expect me to be able to receive it... they don't take kindly to being told to use some other form of communication
    Unfortunately mails over 25MB on the Internet generally do not work. This is one of the many reasons why Microsoft bought Groove, a part of Office 2007.

Microsoft Groove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other major point is tracking who has access to a document, and keeping record of update revisions to the document. Passing around a document back and forth in email becomes a unprofessional mess with potential for confusion and mistakes.

Sharepoint integrates into Microsoft Outlook and when sending attachments it will prompt you to store them on the server for centralised access.

The problem for many companies is that these are very much non-trivial, and non-cheap systems.

Well 25MB is on the large side (although some recently have been up there) but I usually deal with files in the 2-10mb range, which has been fine in the past.
    I've heard about these filesharing systems, but the work I do involves (usually) collaboration between people from many different companies, on a project lasting a few days to a few months, then all change.... so anything that requires us all to have the same system is well nigh impossible.

PS ... still waiting for Thunderbird to finish importing....

Quote Originally Posted by spooky:
    Also take a look at Pegasus Mail, best email client IMHO. Thunderbird....hmmm, a bit clunky for me. Pegasus used to be a favorite for Uni. It's free, also commercial grade

Pegasus Mail
    A lot of people used to like Eudora which is now based upon Thunderbird,

http://www.eudora.com/

In mainland China anything old and crappy seems to be popular, the famously broken Foxmail for example,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxmail

Bought by Tencent the makers of the incredibly popular QQ instant messenger. Unfortunately it is still brain dead and cannot handle both Simplified and Traditional Chinese, but then all the Foxmail users I have encountered don't understand that Hong Kong people write a different language

(edit) This post spectacularly breaks on the Eudora link, awesome.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 15-05-2009 at 07:20 PM.

I've heard about these filesharing systems, but the work I do involves (usually) collaboration between people from many different companies, on a project lasting a few days to a few months, then all change.... so anything that requires us all to have the same system is well nigh impossible.
    Check out Google Docs, it's effectively a basic version of Microsoft Office with Microsoft Groove, but works on all platforms, in different languages, etc. It tracks all revisions, have multiple people edit the same document at the same time, see who is editing, chat with them, etc. The gotcha being you are not going to make a 65 thousand column monster accounting spreadsheet on it.

If multiple companies are collaborating usually one is performing a management or co-ordination role, they would be the ideal starting point.

Large companies go for the really expensive suites, Xerox DocuShare, EMC documentum, all built to help join disparate users of disparate systems.

(edit) Forgetting one of the major "web 2.0" stars is Basecamp, setup just for collaboration of small to large projects,

http://www.basecamphq.com/

I use activeCollab, effectively a free self-hosted version,

http://www.activecollab.com/
    Last edited by MrMoo; 15-05-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Mr Moo,

You're missing the point - she is sharing documents with people in other companies, inside their own firewalls and with their own servers, so there is no single server that they all have access to. And they do not wish to leave documents lying around on third parties' servers.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast