Netvigator email problems - any ideas?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Netvigator email problems - any ideas?

Netvigator is driving me nuts. I have tried contacting them about this and I get garbage back (or nothing). Can anyone help?

Problem is this: I download my netvigator plus email into Outlook Express. It used to be fine. Recently, however, I find that if I have more than about 5 messages coming in at any one time, that it just stops halfway through the download, hangs, then fails. The larger the number/size of messages coming in, the more often this problem occurs.

I end up having to keen hitting "stop" on the download and getting them come in one at a time or two at a time ... which is time-consuming and idiotic. NEVER had this problem with my previous ISP, so I don't think it's my pc, and it does not matter where I am connected, so I don't think it's a connection issue ....

Any ideas? Any settings I can change? Or am I left having to find yet another new email provider?

Have you tried logging into your netvigator account using the webmail feature?

NETMail

Check to see if there are any large attachments received and clear/save/delete as necessary. This could be slowing the email download in your email program.

Try Windows Live for email instead of Outlook Express, as it's a bit dated and buggy. Mozilla Thunderbird is the popular alternative.

Hint: you should never use ISP mail hosting. It ties you permanently with that ISP and their service is more often than not going to be shit as it's a freebie service with no incentives to actually implement it well.

Sign up with an email service provider such as HK.com, or generally preferable gmail. Hotmail and Yahoo! are popular alternatives.

Netvigator also impressively gets away with charging stupid fees for features like email anti-virus and anti-spam.

X2 for Thunderbird and gmail. And Firefox instead of IE. And OpenOffice instead of MS Office.

Now if there was a stable version of Linux for laptops... (OK maybe there is now, but a year ago when I was looking it was iffy)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    their service is more often than not going to be shit as it's a freebie service with no incentives to actually implement it well.

Sign up with an email service provider such as HK.com, or generally preferable gmail. Hotmail and Yahoo! are popular alternatives.
    I'm struggling to reconcile these two assertions. Are gmail, hotmail and yahoo not free?

As I understand it Min07 actually pays Netvigator for their Mail Plus service (HK$18/month) which is provided off a separate server from their free service, so you argument holds even less.

For what it's worth, Netvigator Mail Plus has been working fine for me recently, but I find their DNS to be a bit flaky.
    Last edited by PDLM; 15-05-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm struggling to reconcile these two assertions. Are gmail, hotmail and yahoo not free?

As I understand it Min07 actually pays Netvigator for their Mail Plus service (HK$18/month) which is provided off a separate server from their free service, so you argument holds even less.

For what it's worth, Netvigator Mail Plus has been working fine for me recently, but I find their DNS to be a bit flaky.
    Correct and correct.

Outlook Express has worked fine for me for years, so I hesitate to think this is the problem, but didn't know about the alternatives so I will look into those.

I know I have large attachments - that's why I pay for Netvigator Plus! I don't want to delete my attachments I want to download them onto my pc!

The error message I get is:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.netvigator.com (new)', Server: 'ndpop.netvigator.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Does that mean anything to anyone?
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 15-05-2009 at 06:40 PM.

You can pay for gmail, hotmail and yahoo if you want a more reliable SLA and usually more storage.

Don't think for a minute that that HK$18 is giving you better service other than lining Richard Li's pocket.

If the OP is paying money for Netvigator they should be able to call support and get their problem fixed in a couple of minutes. You should be able to add the numbers up and realise why the OP's post is in this forum in the first place.

What the hell are you paying for if you cannot get any support?
    Last edited by MrMoo; 15-05-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Don't think for a minute that that HK$18 is giving you better service other than lining Richard Li's pocket.
    Well you may be surprised to know (since you clearly don't know as much as you think about these things) that it does: more storage and no limit on individual email sizes for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The error message I get is:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.netvigator.com (new)', Server: 'ndpop.netvigator.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Does that mean anything to anyone?
    I don't use Outlook Express so I'm not sure, but I wouldn't expect your "Account" to be "pop.netvigator.com", I would expect it to be "Movingin07" or "[email protected]".

You did change your configuration as instructed when you moved over to Mail Plus? I wouldn't expect to see "pop.netvigator.com" anywhere in your configuration - it isn't in mine.

See: http://cs.netvigator.com/support/ema...e_setup_e.html
    Last edited by PDLM; 15-05-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Well you may be surprised to know (since you clearly don't know as much as you think about these things) that it does: more storage and no limit on individual email sizes for a start.
    Yes - this is why I signed up for it - I have big emails and many of them. Am trying to install Thunderbird now ... although I think it's about to have a hissy-fit at the size of my current data that it wants to import.. very slow....I will report back on whether this solves the problem. I use firefox as my browser, and love it (although I know I only use a fraction of its capability), so am happy to try Mozilla's mail programme if it has at least the functionality of express (or more....)!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast