HELP! Email won't go out....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

well the netvigator people did their normal trick of making you set up the account again ... which I went along with even knowing this was not the problem in the hope that perhaps we might get to a solution later... and now they have put me on hold as they appear to be baffled ... I don't think many people ring up with "real" problems!

I'm begining to think it must be something to do with the hotel's internet ... they are capturing the emails somehow because webmail (both netvigator and my companies own webmail) are working fine.....

ok - going to close down my pc now and reboot .. always a good start to solving these problems ... and if that does not work going to connect to vodafone 3G as it's the only other ISP I can think of to test the theory that it's the hotel internet causing the problem! Since this is expensive I'm probably going offair for a while ...

Seems like your email is getting blocked from the sending server. Not reaching our server at all.

If you have a Yahoo or Gmail webmail account send me an email from there.

Yes, there is a good chance that the hotel is blocking / filtering outbound emails. Have seen that happen in a number of locations.

You might want to give the hotel IT dept a call.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yes, there is a good chance that the hotel is blocking / filtering outbound emails. Have seen that happen in a number of locations.

You might want to give the hotel IT dept a call.
    Working on that now... waiting for them to come up to my room and check my settings .. again... then after they are happy I have a problem that is not a setting problem perhaps they will help!

They probably need to reboot their gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    They probably need to reboot their gateway.
    just mentioned that to the guy in my room ... i'm not holding my breath

I gave up and threw them out. They were changing all the settings on my pc and after that NOTHING worked. The guy had no idea what he was doing.

Anyway, problem solved. I gave up and signed up for a gmail account. That seems to send fine.

Now I cannot receive any of my email at all because they screwed up my netvigator account, but at least i can now send......

Quote Originally Posted by zerocred:
    It could be that the ISP is blocking IP port 25 (outgoing mail) - Netvigator does this on non netvigator (external) email accounts.

A possible solution is to use a different outgoing port number eg 465 (secure mail) or sometimes 26 or 2525 under (in Outlook - I dunno for Outlook express) More Settings > Advanced > Outgoing port number.

If you have gmail - you can set it up as a pop server with the secure ports that always get through - for these stuck in a hotel where nothing is working eventualities...
    Final analysis - I think you were right actually. I could not change the port settings for netvigator or yahoo (it just stopped working) but when I opened up my gmail account, their settings seemed to need a different port number, 465, to start with and this is the only one that is working. NOW netvigator refuses to send, I'm getting the error message I was expecting to get with your point above, I have no idea why (the guy fiddled with something!) so now at least i KNOW the emails are not going, rather than them looking like they were but not actually going!

Thanks everyone for the help ... your comments were more useful than an hour of combined technical "assistance" from netvigator or the hotel IT man..... Vive le Geoexpat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2