Smartone Home Broadband

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smartone Home Broadband

Smartone-Vodafone

Seems like a very good deal at HK$148 a month for a 24 month contract. Am I missing something?

not really. But remember it is a wireless service so is delivered via the mobile 3g service. Potentially the reception may not be good depending on your location. Also if you want now tv, it may cost more if you don't use Netvigator.

However you get a home phone service included in that price so it's a pretty good package.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I think the dongle is for a difference service - the mobile broadband at HK$188 (+$12 admin fee) a month.

As I understand it, with the home broadband, you can connect computers via cable while the 'wireless' works in the same way as the Netvigator one - i.e. just in your home.

Unrivalled speeds – Up to 7.2Mbps (download) and 2Mbps (upload)
    Connect up to 4 computers via cables
    Connect even more computers with built-in Wi-Fi.
    No messy wiring.
    Free rental of HSPA Wireless Gateway.
    No messy wiring AND connect 4 computers with cables? Someone in marketing was not paying attention to the copy.

BUT their FAQ states -- It allows multiple PCs, using LAN cables or Wi-Fi, to access the Internet at the same time, saving you from using a router to share use.

One small word of caution. Many years ago when we'd tested their HSDPA service, they were using a transparent proxy, which degraded the quality of the images (to save on wireless bandwidth, improve load times). Not sure if they do this anymore.... but it did get irritating to see blurred images -- which were reloaded properly if you forced a refresh on the browser. Check with them.

Also, the pricing seems good as it includes a residential phone connection to.

The only downside seems to be the wireless service, which will be dependent on the strength of the signal in your apartment, but their FAQ mentions that refunds may be available.

Missing something? - yes - the key term is "up to XXX"
    Same for all of these wirelessly-delivered services. Though not if the data comes down an ADSL line.

1) the bit rate is shared with other users on the same base station.
    2) bit rate will depend on where you are. Specifically, the path loss and radio interference level. Low signal = low throughput.
    3) latency on wireless is both variable and not exactly fast

It is the same for all the wireless services - effect (2) kicks in earlier and harder for those operators claiming even higher bit rates.

If you travel about and want to do a bit of browsing and send a few emails it's fine - if you want to watch Now TV, watch loads of YouTube, bit torrents or play time-critical online games, wireless is a non-starter.

Last edited by zerocred; 22-05-2009 at 06:25 PM.

>> If you travel about and want to do a bit of browsing and send a few emails it's fine

Even the travel option might be limited, since it comes with a residential phone line. I recall their homephone system is tied into the cell / area you've activated the phone in.

Anyone tried t service yet? What's t verdict?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I tested this at one of their shops in TST where they had a display, the connections to local sites are great, but when I tried to access any sites based in London or New York, I had HORRIBLE latency (I recall 500ish for New York and lots of packet loss for London), I did this around 2PM HK standard time.

Original Post Deleted
    I agree. I have used for nearly a month and the connection is perfect.
    To me, intead of trying out speed test, I would rather considered the stability of the service. As long as the network is stable, surfing websites are smooth and there is no disconnection, $148 a month is already a good value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by lngtmm84:
    It is good deal for 148, but any hidden charge?
    No hidden charge, but personal opinion I would rather get i-Cable internet (it costs like $160 with phone) than SmarTone, SmarTone's broadband is based on a mobile network on a shared principle, which means the more users there are, the slower it is.

At a price of $148 I would assume the network would be overcrowded very soon.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast