Two NICs for two separate networks not working

Two NICs for two separate networks not working

I am trying to get internet access to a PC (Windows XP) which is already connected to another network solely for telex. The telex network does not have access to the internet.

So I installed another network card into the PC and connected the cable from the router (which is internet connected).

The problem is the internet works only if the NIC connected to the telex network is disabled.

I created a bridge between the two networks but now even though the internet works, the telex doesn't. So I deleted the bridge.

So now its either one or the other. Whenever internet is needed, the telex connected NIC is disabled and re-enabled (after disabling the Internet connected NIC) when need to retrieve the telexes in que.

Anybody can advise what I can do so that both networks works at the same time?

er2

this sounds as if your computer doesn't know which route it has to use for which target subnet, i.e. it thinks that the entire internet is accessible through your first (telex, whatever that is) NIC. You might have to restrict the routes of your telex-NIC to exactly that very (telex) subnet. However, I've no idea how to do this under windows, but then, looking into the Windows Help using the keywords 'network route' might help.

telex? Are you sure that service still exists? That's 19th century technology!

Apparently it still does !

Yes, it seems I'll have to fool around with the routing table.

Quote Originally Posted by mecracked:
    Apparently it still does !

Yes, it seems I'll have to fool around with the routing table.
    Try creating a static & permanent route for the telex. Open the cmd prompt and type "route ?" for help (look for the ADD switch).

Thanks. I'm going to try that.

it does not work because your Telex NIC is the primary one and has a default gateway setup.

When your Internet comes up your DHCP fires up and the Default routte is ignored on the NIC2. Then you disable your Telex NIC and the default gateway on the NIC2 becomes usable and you can access the internet.

Turn off your default gateway on the Telex NIC and it should work. You may need some routes added to your tables so that you can access all the parts of the network of the telex service provider.

You must be in shipping.