Newsgroups/ Usenet Questions

Newsgroups/ Usenet Questions

Has anyone tried other news services besides Giga? What DL speeds are you getting?
    I am on Giga atm and usually get 30-30m on a HKBN 100m line.

I am also looking for sites that have .nzb's of Indian (Bollywood films) and Iranian (Farsi) films. I use Newzbin, NZBsRus and a few others. I am tying to find some dedicated Bollywood & Iranian sites.

Thanks in advance.

i use giga and get similar speeds on PCCW 30M line.
    cant help you with bollywood or farsi films....

I use easynews and get around 5-6m on my 6m pccw line.

I use Giganews, and used to top out at 6.7 on my 6M line. Now when I enable XZVER header compression, it tops out at 7.7. I actually saw it at 8.2 for a few seconds!

Make sure to turn on compression if you're with Giganews. If your news reader doesn't support it, Giganews has software you can use as a proxy.

wow...way to jinx me :P
    yesterday i tried d/l a file and it was running super slow. my speedtest.net still shows full 30M, and the Giganews speedtest/traceroute looked normal. but my files were now going about 1/4th the normal speed. maybe giga is having a bad couple of days?

Yeah, giganews has been really slow for me lately. I actually switched to their Europe servers, and that seemed to help. Speeds are less consistent though.

maybe its because they are trying to build up a bigger retention? not sure if that has any effect on speed access. they are at largest of all now...303 days.

I actually noticed that for a bit last week my easynews connection dropped quite a bit.

In general I've noticed on not just usenet, but also on bittorrent that my connection speeds are much lower than they used to be (however my speedtest.net speeds are showing as fine).

Do you think PCCW is blocking certain ports, or doing something to slow down certain types of connections?

i just noticed that my speeds are back to normal. i suppose it was a temporary hinder to newsgroup access since that was the only slow down i had at the time