Which Online catalogue/Shopping cart software?

Which Online catalogue/Shopping cart software?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a software to build product catalogs and shopping cart to an existing web site. I am familiar with HTML, but I am not a programmer, so I would like a software that can work seamlessly with Dreamweaver.

I have looked at the following, but would like some recommendations from experienced users.

Download EasyWare Shopping Cart - Freeware Software - Tucows

Download Shopping Cart System Pro - Shareware Software - Tucows

DMXReady Catalog Manager

any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 10-06-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added urls

The generic shopping carts don't integrate too well with Dreamweaver as it's not needed although you can find templates to work with, you will end up with a cookie cutter look. Examples,

OS Commerce, used by Water-Pro in Kowloon Bay:
    http://water-pro.net/catalog/

Zen Cart, used by Milanoo, a fetish wear, costume, pet supply, everything, site in HK:
    China Wholesale - Wholesale Cheap Wedding Dresses, Sexy Lingerie,Lolita Dresses,Cosplay Costumes,Mascot Costumes,PVC Catsuits,Latex clothes - Milanoo.com

Search for "Time of transit varies depending on where" to see other sites using the same shopping cart.

Have a look on Amazon or in a book store you should be able to find a few books on shopping cart systems and how to use them. I see 114 books on OSCommerce and 197 on Zen Cart.

Last edited by MrMoo; 10-06-2009 at 05:41 PM.

You could also use Virtuemart in combination with Joomla.

Joomla is an open-source content management system while Virtuemart is a free shopping cart component that runs under it. It may seem unnecessary to have to first install Joomla and then Virtuemart under it. However, there are some advantages to it as well--there are tons of templates available both for Joomla and Virtuemart, and if you need other components for your website such as a gallery, online calender, mailing list, etc., there are plenty of free Joomla components that can take care of it too.

Otherwise, I'd check out Zen Cart as MrMoo suggests--I've heard good things about it, but I don't have a personal experience with it.

I've used them all. The best by far has been Prestashop, even though it's still in beta. Excellent SEO features.

Thanks for the links! I'll try some of those out. and freeware is always nice

Quote Originally Posted by Veetmarg
    You could also use Virtuemart in combination with Joomla.

Joomla is an open-source content management system......
    doesn't that mean having to "host" the server yourself - setting up linux/win server, configure software...etc

where would you host it in HK ?

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight
    I've used them all. The best by far has been Prestashop, even though it's still in beta. Excellent SEO features.

The site I have to create is going to be in English and Chinese, but I do not see Chinese in any of the language packs on the prestashop website. But, there is a Chinese section in the forums. Do you know if Chinese is supported at all in this newest version?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo
    The site I have to create is going to be in English and Chinese, but I do not see Chinese in any of the language packs on the prestashop website. But, there is a Chinese section in the forums. Do you know if Chinese is supported at all in this newest version?
    Someone has probably created a language pack. I don't know since I never bothered to look. Try their forums, they are quite active and helpful.

So... I ended up using Zen Cart. I installed the simplified Chinese language pack, and all is well so far, except for this one small problem that the Zen Cart forums hasn't given me a solution to yet.

When I switch to the Chinese site from a browser, the category names in the category sidebox, and in the header, is limited to 4 characters only. That is, if a category name is 6 characters long, only the first 4 characters will be displayed.

Zen Cart forum members have suggested that I go into PHPMyAdmin, go to my database, select "categories_descriptions" and change the length/values of "categories-name" from Varchar32 to Varchar 64. But to no avail.

Hoping that there are some Zen Cart users here using the same language pack who can shed some light on this problem!