PCCW 3G, Android, Mobile Sports HD Channels

Closed Thread

PCCW 3G, Android, Mobile Sports HD Channels

Hey all,

Glad to have found a community of like minded individuals interested in tech and gadgets here in Hong Kong.

I've been recently having a long and frustrating conversation with PCCW regarding their support for mobile channels such as Live Sports HD on phones such as the Android or even iPhone.

The simple thing is, I plan to get one of these phones within the next 2 months, and considering the new Premier League Season starting in August, I really want to be able to watch my football live on mobile whenever I wish.

Now, PCCW, for all their marketing hype about being innovative, still doesn't support iPhone and Android when it comes to Mobile Content Channels, even tho they continuously want to get all iPhone users to come over to their 3G data plans instead. I just find this to be ludicrous, and a very lame ass business practice, and personally just think that thir tech support just can't be bothered to rack up some effort and do some work to stream the Mobile Channels to these newer technologies.

I even have talked to HTC regarding their Android HTC Magic phone and their reply has simply been "PCCW has not opened the streaming Mobile HD Channels to HTC Magic, so HTC Magic can not use this function."

For me it is simple, I more than likely want to get on the Android bandwagon, and I really want to subscribe to the Mobile Sports HD Channels.

All in all, I have been very pleased with PCCW and their NowTV and Netvigator Services, even tho they have now lost out the rights to Champions league football next season. Quite a shame. I hope there will be others here who are willing to provide me with support and support for the end-users in general to just get what they want, without limitation to particular phones. I mean c'mon, they must be living in the 19th century to not still support iPhone or Android.

If possible, please help me to write to PCCW, and continue to ask them about support for Android and iPhone for mobile HD Channels, hopefully someone will finally notice and we can get Live footbal streaming by the time the season starts.

PCCW Email: [email protected]

Thank you.

Edit: for those who are not aware of the channels I am talking about, please go here - Mobile Sports Channel HD Live

If possible, please help me bring this matter to other local Chinese forums to help gain more support. Cheers.

Last edited by CrazyDelta; 12-06-2009 at 11:23 AM.

what happened to my post?

Got caught in a spam filter. I thought I'd replied to it ...

For what it's worth, having had an Android phone for more than 6 months, I've argued with PCCW about it before - in particular, the fact that their 'single device plan' for wifi on mobiles uses user-agent sniffing to tell if you're using a 'supported' phone. Of course, their services works just fine with Android, once you tell the browser to use an iPhone user-agent, but they kick you out if you use the real user-agent.

Silly bastards...

Sorry to hear that buddy. Yea, I really don't understand why they need to be so up tight about some basic little things. Why not just make things easier for everyone, which in return will bring in more customers for them?

I just have this feeling that there are just tech people in the background who just don't want to do any real work.

Wouldn't it all just be better, to not have so many people calling up their Customer Service and giving them crap?

Anyways, I have now even set up an online petition here, so hopefully you guys can sign it as well.

Spread the word please.

Petition Link

I am struck with a curious question, which perhaps someone here could answer.

PCCW claims that it does not support iPhone or Android, but I guess that doesn't mean they don't actually work. Just as Vmlinuz above pointed out.

In terms of the wap configuration, I heard PCCW have a special setup for iPhone or something like that.

I am curious to know if anyone else here is using PCCW 3G with iPhone and/or is also using streaming Mobile Channels?

Vmlinuz - I am assuming you are using just the normal 3G service without any streaming channels, correct?

I've used the PCCW 3G connection on my iPhone .. no problems with anything data related. No special iPhone integration required. With PCCW the 3G data settings are on their website ... nothing special again, just the normal 3G settings.

Did not bother with the streaming channels ...

Well guess what guys, the HTC Hero (Android Phone) is releasing with PCCWmobile first week September.

And it will have all the streaming channels and sports HD Live, etc. Woohoo...

I got mine pre-ordered already.

Cheers.