Like Tree3Likes

MP3 download sites for Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MP3 download sites for Hong Kong?

I'm trying to download MP3s but keep getting blocked from sites like Amazon and others, due to geographical barriers put up to protect music licences. Fair enough, but can anyone tell me of a Hong Kong site that I can buy English-language MP3s from? I need fairly obscure music for a kids' party and while Amazon have exactly what I want, I can't access the downloads and they can't ship a CD in time for the party.

a search on google has found:

Music Downloads, MP3 Downloads, MP3 songs, from eMusic.com

and nothing else much unfortunately.

what sort of songs are u looking for...i have a membership to an mp3 website that is really cheap, but u need a US credit card to fund.

I am a member of emusic, but it's usually quite alternative stuff. Not a lot of mainstream, except for remakes and remixes. If you have a UK or US credit card, you can use itunes. It is not blocked in HK (unlike amazon). HMV also has MP3 downloads, but mostly in-store.

Quote Originally Posted by amseiko98:
    I am a member of emusic, but it's usually quite alternative stuff. Not a lot of mainstream, except for remakes and remixes. If you have a UK or US credit card, you can use itunes. It is not blocked in HK (unlike amazon). HMV also has MP3 downloads, but mostly in-store.
    Could you not use iTunes? I get most of my music through them.. they have all the mainstream stuff and all the alternative music I listen too as well.

And just to clarify, for iTunes UK the card (a credit or debit card will do) simply needs to be issued by a UK bank. If your registered address is in HK then just put any UK address in the relevant fields - it isn't validated. I've been using an HSBC Jersey Switch card for iTunes in this way.

Thanks all for your replies. When I signed on for iTunes I put in my HK address details and was limited to only the application store (can't buy music at all - so aggravating). However my spouse signed up in Australia with Australian details and so can access the Australian store. Mercifully it had what I wanted so all is sorted in time for the party. It is so annoying being able to see what you want but not being able to access it!

Since the legitimate downloading services don't seem to want your business as you reside outside the USA, etc, then that would seem to only leave the gray market free downloads of which there are many, many options online. The entertainment companies don't deserve your money if they can't get their heads around the simple fact that geographical boundaries are meaningless online and a ridiculous way to structure online services. Screw 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong:
    The entertainment companies don't deserve your money if they can't get their heads around the simple fact that geographical boundaries are meaningless online and a ridiculous way to structure online services.
    Still waiting to see if HK iTunes will sell music, even though it would only end up being local artists.

Their problem is long term gigantic financial contracts with local companies giving monopolies on regional distribution which prohibits competition from a global source. As long as local CD sales, radio, and TV exist they've got a big conflict of interest problem in global Internet sales.

I like how in comparison China no one seems to give a damn and the government condone Baidu giving away any and all music and film online.

I hear you, but it's nonsensical to have a business driven by an outdated model that predates game-changing technology. It's a miracle these companies have survived this long when they move at glacial slow speeds. In many other industries, these guys would be toast by now, at the mercy of faster, nimbler upstarts. The internet has been a commercial platform for 15 years now with music downloads gone mainstream first with Napster 10 years ago. That's a very long time for these entertainment behemoths to adjust their ways of doing business, an eternity really in commercial terms, yet have they adapted? Nope. It's pathetic really.

Last edited by jabalong; 25-07-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast