If you dont say no, you will be assumed to accept the contract

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If you dont say no, you will be assumed to accept the contract

I just received a letter from PCCW that my 18 mobile phone is about to expire in September. At the end of the current contract, PCCW will be offering me the same deal that is $138 monthly tariff plan with a $69 rebate monthly rebate but PCCW will put me on a new contract term for 18 months. If I wish to upgrade the plan or withdraw from the offer and I will need to contact them during their business hours Mon-Fri 9am-9pm. First thing that came to my mind is this company has a problem and I am questioning myself if PCCW business conduct is ethical.

Why does it have a problem?
    Why is that not ethical?
    Posted via Mobile Device

It is not illegal or unethical although it is shady as in many cases they raise tLhe charges under the automatic renewals.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I think I'm going to switch my cell phone service to Peoples and my internet back to ICable. I've had enough of PCCW's practices.

I think that notice is pretty much standard practice even in Canada where the service provider switches you to a month to month situation when the longer term contract expires. This avoids a person who meant to keep it going from forgetting to do something and losing their number.

>> month to month situation

That I have no problems with. Infact my PCCW mobile contract was on a month to month for the longest time, once my contract expired. What I'd have problems with is the NOW TV and other Netvigator time contracts that are renewed for 18-24 month periods.

Consider yourself lucky you got advance warning. NOW tv, got in touch after my contract had expired and basically tried to tell me that I was on a new contract for 18 months!!!

Unfortunately it's not illegal but as Shri says it's all a bit shady as it's hard to keep track of what expires when.

Quote Originally Posted by curlyv
    Consider yourself lucky you got advance warning. NOW tv, got in touch after my contract had expired and basically tried to tell me that I was on a new contract for 18 months!!!

Unfortunately it's not illegal but as Shri says it's all a bit shady as it's hard to keep track of what expires when.
    You guys are right. Its not illegal practice but they are definitely shady. To me its like sending me a letter to say "If we don't hear you say no, then we will assume you accepted our offer". What was the old common law about "silence cannot be treated as an acceptance of an offer ? Beats me how these shonky business can manage to find a loop hole in the system and exploit it. Anyway, I am no lawyer and I shouldn't be complaining like someone else said earlier. At least I got a prior warning to cut them off first.

So ashame that not only PCCW, but many operators are also practising this kind of "selling technique" nowadays.

So ashame that not only PCCW, but many operators are also practising this kind of "selling technique" nowadays.
    And OFTA is actually proud of this -- "we have the most unregulated and free telecommunications in the world".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast