Wanchai computer centre - authentic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanchai computer centre - authentic?

Last question from me about iphone 3gs. They have them in stock, unlocked at the Wanchai Computer Center. Is there any reason to think they might not be genuine Apple iphones? It just seems odd that they're out of stock at the Apple shop, and at the 3 shops, but three different shops have them at Wanchai Computer Center. Any thoughts?

Thanks

sxc

What price are they selling them for? My guess is that they are parallel imports.

Note that unlike other Apple products, iphones don't come with an international warranty. You need to get them fixed in the country you bought them in.

Unlocked 32g 6980HKD. Two other shops had them for slightly more.

TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!

iPhone - Apple Store (HongKong)

The official price is lower (6288)

Order it and wait for it to arrive =)

Quote Originally Posted by trocadero
    Unlocked 32g 6980HKD. Two other shops had them for slightly more.
    I would have no reason to suspect that they would not be authentic, especially at that price. Nearly $1K USD for a phone/mp3 player..???...wow.

Thanks. I'm not surprised its $500HKD more than the apple shop, given the circumstances. I don't think that's a convincing argument that it's a fake. I'm just wondering what the general attitude is towards the authenticity of hardware from Wanchai Computer Center.

Quote Originally Posted by trocadero
    Thanks. I'm not surprised its $500HKD more than the apple shop, given the circumstances. I don't think that's a convincing argument that it's a fake. I'm just wondering what the general attitude is towards the authenticity of hardware from Wanchai Computer Center.
    Very very unlikely you'll get fakes there.

fm7

With the WC computer market, the question is not authenticity, but legitimacy. I don't see a lot of stuff there that looks "fake," but I suspect an awful lot of their merchandise is grey market, or parallel import. That's always fine as long as it works, but you could well get stuck if you need to make a warranty claim.

last major iPhone release, WCcm had hacked/unlocked iPhones as well. They weren't cheap, but they were available well before the official HK release.

With Apple products an interesting question to ask is how much they charge to supply AppleCare on the product. A regular apple seller can hook you up with that in about 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by fm7
    With the WC computer market, the question is not authenticity, but legitimacy. I don't see a lot of stuff there that looks "fake," but I suspect an awful lot of their merchandise is grey market, or parallel import. That's always fine as long as it works, but you could well get stuck if you need to make a warranty claim.

last major iPhone release, WCcm had hacked/unlocked iPhones as well. They weren't cheap, but they were available well before the official HK release.

With Apple products an interesting question to ask is how much they charge to supply AppleCare on the product. A regular apple seller can hook you up with that in about 2 seconds.
    I have purchased numerous items over the years from WCC and NEVER had a problem. It is easy to get proof whether the item is authentic and if they do offer authentic vs. gray market items they will tell you the difference in price. All you have to do is ask if the produt comes with full warranty. There are a few shops in WCC which do sell Apple products and aside from the obvious mark-up for those impatient enough to get the items from a regular Apple retailer, I have very little doubt in these product's authenticity or legitimacy.

sxc

Quote Originally Posted by fm7
    I repeat - you cannot get warranty service in HK for an iphone bought in the US, which is highly likely what these models in Wanchai are, even with Applecare. If you have a problem, you will need to either get it serviced in the US, or pay for the servicing in HK.

Apple - Support - iPhone - Service FAQs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast