Laptop recomendation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a Dell XPS 1530.

The laptop itself is very sturdy, very well built and suitable for all I want it for.

The one issue I have with my XPS (and apparently this was the same on all the 1530's) is the battery life.

You can get a couple of hours out of it, but don't expect it to do anything that involves alot of processing power whilst its not plugged in, nor will it last you a train journey from Hong Kong to Shanghai.

I'm hoping they have improved it for the XPS13, if they have.. I would highly recommend it.

I went for the core2duo 2.4gig, 4gig RAM, 8600GT GFX, 320gig HDD. They are very good quality laptops and I do and have recommended them to people who are going to use them plugged in most of the time.

Last edited by kenbo23; 31-07-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    What's the computer 'straining to do'? 2 year old tech is more than enough for most things unless you're running seriously heavy number crunching or graphics apps.

By the way, replacement batteries for laptops can be had for about HKD500 from the computer malls. And if you leave the laptop plugged into the wall, keeping the battery stored outside of the laptop at around half charge is the single best thing you can do to prolong its life.
    Streaming HD 1080i to my ps3, or transcoding mkv files to vob, while trying to upload pictures.

heh, yes, i'm probably multitasking a bit too much!

jgl

All at the same time? Ha- you should be using a quad-core desktop with a fast disk system

All at the same time? Ha- you should be using a quad-core desktop with a fast disk system
    yes, i know that, and that's why i said my laptop is creaking at what i want it to do. however its a case of cost and time. i will eventually upgrade to something more powerful (and boy do i want to), but i can't at the moment.

Get the XPS 13, but to be honest check in local stores in Wan Chai Computer center.
    I just ordered the XPS 13 with US keyboard and no chinese symbols on it, at my usual computer shop.
    He gave me a way better price then i would have had at Dell directly.
    I'm talking about 900HKD less.

By the way, replacement batteries for laptops can be had for about HKD500 from the computer malls. And if you leave the laptop plugged into the wall, keeping the battery stored outside of the laptop at around half charge is the single best thing you can do to prolong its life.
    That's what I was led to believe too. However, recently both the batteries for my Sony notebook gave up at around the same time. One was the original and the other purchased from Sony some months after. The Sony repair shop told me they have a shelf life no matter how much or how little you charge them. I am hoping this has changed with current batteries or we may as well close up shop and go home.

jgl

There is a definite shelf life with Li-ion batteries. However, that shelf life is significantly decreased if the battery is kept stored at 100% charge (off memory, you'd be expecting a loss of 20% of storage capacity within a year, if kept at 100% charge). If you decrease the charge to 40% you can significantly reduce time-based degradation, but it still degrades. Heat is the other killer- another reason to keep packs out of hot laptops that are usually run of AC power.

Okay, I just looked up some lifespan data on Li-ions. The row to pay attention to is for 25 degrees in the first chart: How to prolong lithium-based batteries

I've spoken to a couple of guys in laptop and electronics stores... if they were anything to go by, most of them are going to be sales drones who don't really have much of an idea of how different battery chemistries work, and how different chemistries should be treated.

For the more adventurous, there are a couple of stores in Sham Shui Po that should be able to crack open old battery packs and just to a straight cell replacement. Should be a lot cheaper than an new original manufacturer pack, and more reliable than the generic replacement packs floating around in stores.

<end of nerd waffle>

Last edited by jgl; 31-07-2009 at 02:15 PM.

you are best off getting a Thinakpad either X200s or new T400s. Little more expensive but no creaky casing, palmrests that wear out, other hardware maladies, etc.

Depending on wheter you get discrete graphics or not is probably the most signifigant factor in your batter life. If you have onboard video the battery should last quite long between recharges. Also, consider number of cells in the battery pack. Tradeoff between weight and time between recharges.

Last edited by TWISM; 31-07-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. I will definitely wait until I get to HK to make a purchase, and it will likely be the Dell xps 13. Can`t wait.

I dont know where you are coming from but you might want to check the Dell website in your current location versus the Dell HK website which I beleive is consolidated with the CH site. It may not be cheaper in HK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2