Laptop recomendation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laptop recomendation

Hi, I am looking at buying a laptop. I have not yet arrived in HK and am wondering if I can wait until I get there to buy a laptop.

I am currently looking at 4 laptops:

Dell xps 13
    Dell Studio 14
    Acer 3935
    Samsung Q320

I know that I can order a dell through their website, but I would much rather see/feel it in person first before I buy. I am wondering if any shops might carry the Dells in HK.

Also, I would love if anyone could throw their 2 cents in for any of these models. My main concerns are (not in any order)
    Weight: Should be light
    Battery: Should be able to give at least a few hours of juice
    Power: Should be able to run some heavy applications (photoshop, dreamweaver, video rendering etc)

Aside from that, I plan to have it for around 4-5 years so would like to be able to expand on it possibly in the future.

Thanks in advance

Go the xps13. But keeping it for 4 years?..... wow. Powerfinger - clearly with a name like that you are Australian, so take the 3 year tax deduction and replace it after 3 years. In HK, laptops are so cheap that you can afford to buy a new one every year...

There is a Dell shop in the Wan Chai Computer Centre where they have all the computers to touch and play with. They can help you there to order it online at the Dell Store.

Forget the tax deduction - if you are Australian and staying in Hong Kong for more than a year you will be a non-resident for tax purposes, so claiming laptop depreciation would be hard to prove.

I have not used a Dell for many years, but did used to like them. I have no idea what price the ones on your list are, but I previously used a Lenovo X200S - would have been a fantastic machine (small, light and powerful with plenty of nice extras like a camera, fingerprint access etc) save for my company loading it up with crap software I could not get rid of! For a pc I'd happily recommend it (but as I said, no idea what it would cost).

I've now gone for a mac - really like it actually - prices come down for macs in the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchu2
    4 years is little bit long to keep a laptop....
    Why is that? I have only had two in the last 12 years, and they were both still going strong when I left the companies where I used them (albeit the second one with some repairs, but that was far, far cheaper than buying a new one). They were both Thinkpads for what its worth.
    Last edited by PDLM; 31-07-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Find out the cpu model, not just the speed and look it up on intel.com web site and ensure it is a low power cpu. Often they provide lower price laptops by putting a cpu desktop in them that makes the laptop extremely hot and makes your battery very short.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Why is that? I have only had two in the last 12 years, and they were both still going strong when I left the companies where I used them (albeit the second one with some repairs, but that was far, far cheaper than buying a new one). They were both Thinkpads for what its worth.
    I kind of agree with PDLM here, it really does depend what you want to use your computer for that may determine how long it will last for.

If its just simple web browsing, emailing, etc, you could get one which would last you for years. My parents have had their computer for well over 5 years. Sure its old, but it does exactly what they want it to, web browsing, emailing and skype.

I have had a computer which has lasted me over five years as well. It did what I wanted it to, but towards the end, battery life was non existent and it was suffering with the stuff I wanted it to do. My present computer is just over two years old and while it is fully functional and in good order, its straining with the stuff I want to do on it.....

Laptops can easily last more than 4 years. You just have to pick a decent quality machine, not load it with bloatware and use it for 'normal' tasks.

However, if the OP is going to stay with rendering and heavy PS work, upgrading frequently is probably more realistic.

I bought mine 2nd hand it was 4 years old. Pentium M 1.5Ghz with a 1GB of RAM, put a new drive in it. it has been flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    I

I have had a computer which has lasted me over five years as well. It did what I wanted it to, but towards the end, battery life was non existent and it was suffering with the stuff I wanted it to do. My present computer is just over two years old and while it is fully functional and in good order, its straining with the stuff I want to do on it.....
    What's the computer 'straining to do'? 2 year old tech is more than enough for most things unless you're running seriously heavy number crunching or graphics apps.

By the way, replacement batteries for laptops can be had for about HKD500 from the computer malls. And if you leave the laptop plugged into the wall, keeping the battery stored outside of the laptop at around half charge is the single best thing you can do to prolong its life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast