IT Question..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IT Question..

Just a really quick question but I need clarification before trying it..

Can I use a laptop and a second Output from a Laptop?

I'm going to assume you can and that it would work the same way as a normal PC, So all I would need is a standard VGA to VGA cable to output from the laptop.

Is this correct? I've never tried using a laptop as a laptop's second output before but need to in the next couple of days.

Cheers

I don't think you can (if I understand your question correctly), but may be you can setup Remote Desktop or something like VNC to achieve the desire effect.

jgl

Kenbo- I couldn't understand your question. Do you mean to use the monitor on laptop A as a second monitor for laptop B?

I don't really see how this would work without a bit of a faff.

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    I don't think you can (if I understand your question correctly), but may be you can setup Remote Desktop or something like VNC to achieve the desire effect.
    Ahh.. Ok.

Its for my friends laptop. The screen has died and he's going to replace it but needs to get all the data off of the old laptop.

What I was hoping to do was basically daisy chain the screen from his laptop onto my laptop, so my laptop displayed his screen so he could then see what he had on there and what he wanted to keep. Its also a way of making sure that its just a problem with the screen not with the main board or any cables.

If this isn't going to work then I can use remote desktop.. its just a slower process.

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    I don't think you can (if I understand your question correctly)
    I think you're not, he's just asking for the laptop display and VGA to both be enabled - i.e. presentation mode.

You usually have the choice of the VGA connector being a second screen - i.e. bigger desktop, or clone of the laptop screen.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    I think you're not, he's just asking for the laptop display and VGA to both be enabled - i.e. presentation mode.

You usually have the choice of the VGA connector being a second screen - i.e. bigger desktop, or clone of the laptop screen.
    Thats what I wanted to do.

Can I just connect a cable and then use the Fn + F7/F8 to put the display onto my laptop?

I would do it with a normal TFT screen but I don't have one available to me, hence i'm having to use a laptop.

Apologies for the confusing post everyone..
    Last edited by kenbo23; 03-08-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbo23
    Its for my friends laptop. The screen has died and he's going to replace it but needs to get all the data off of the old laptop.

What I was hoping to do was basically daisy chain the screen from his laptop onto my laptop, so my laptop displayed his screen so he could then see what he had on there and what he wanted to keep. Its also a way of making sure that its just a problem with the screen not with the main board or any cables.

If this isn't going to work then I can use remote desktop.. its just a slower process.
    If you want the data from the disk just take out the disk and use one of the many USB to HDD adapters that are available.

If you want to use the laptop you can just use the VGA connector as the main display.

If you are trying to use some application on it remote desktop is perfectly fine and not even remotely a slower process - but more likely it's going to be disabled, and it only works with the Pro editions of XP.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    If you want the data from the disk just take out the disk and use one of the many USB to HDD adapters that are available.

If you want to use the laptop you can just use the VGA connector as the main display.

If you are trying to use some application on it remote desktop is perfectly fine and not even remotely a slower process - but more likely it's going to be disabled, and it only works with the Pro editions of XP.
    Cheers Guys.

Got the answers I needed. Thanks all for the help.

good rep to all.

arrh...2 options

1) hook up the dodgy laptop to an external LCD/monitor, the screen may be damaged but the video card could still be intact

2) take out the hard disk - easiest

The VGA connector on the back of the laptop, just like a PC is for output only - you cannot connect another computer as an input source.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast