make my processor work harder

Closed Thread

make my processor work harder

I am running a Phenom 3 processor ( 4 gb Mem , XP prof ) and using ScreenFlash software for a movie to put into in Powerpoint 2007.

First up - the 3 core is only running at an average of 20% doing an SWI to AVI convert and its just gonna take an age to do each file. YES -- I will try other conversions and see what I can sneak into PPTX. Thats not the question.

Second, is there something I can do to make the Phenom 3 work harder, make conversion quicker, independent of my software ?

Lastly if anyone has experience of ScreenFlash ( soooooooo easy to use ) that can make it giddy up, I would appreciate. That way I may get some sleep before my presentation tomorrow.

Peace and Love.

Is Screenflash multithreaded?

I was going to suggest trying an overclock, but reviews suggest that Phenoms don't overclock well, and also the last thing you want to be doing is introducing potential system instability when you've got a deadline to meet. When I was running overclock tests on mine, the machine would run fine for hours, then crash without warning- this is pretty normal.

Maybe someone else has a better idea...

Last edited by jgl; 26-08-2009 at 03:35 PM.

No use overclocking if the application is only taking up 20% of the CPU time.

One thing you could try is open up the task manager, go to processes and right click on it and change the process priority to see if that speeds up the rendering.

Some expert opinion on Screenflash now sought.

Converting to swf file just stalls the convert in the process no matter what size file I use.
    Using the latest 2.04 as well having installed after 1.7 had the same problem.

Help .................... !!!

You want threaded applications which will split the task into multiple cores and then asemblem it as it goes.

If you are only doing 20% cpu... is that like 80% of one of you cores? It means you are not even maxing out one core. So your bottleneck is not yoru CPU.

So what is the bottle neck?

RAM bottle necks? I doubit it.
    Disk I/O, can't read and write fast enough?

A true pro would tell you to go and get the 6 core Opteron 8435 on a 8 cpu system.

look for a better app to do your conversions. I use macs so I can't suggest any specific apps, but I know that it can be a world of difference. I was once using a pos software for converting movie files and it was going at about 4 frames per second, taking over 3 hours to convert.

I switched to a better app that utilizes the dual processors and multi cores and i found coversions going at 70 frames per second and taking less then 1 hour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

use camtasia instead then,fairly simple to use, it's fast and will output to a vast number of formats.

or use the build in screen capture in Xp/vista.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    use camtasia instead then,fairly simple to use, it's fast and will output to a vast number of formats.

or use the build in screen capture in Xp/vista.
    You read my mind. Have donwloaded it to try today.