PCCW tell us not enough lines to building!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Unless a router can have a name without an active account?
    Of course it can. Any wireless router will produce a local network, regardless of whether the WAN connection is working or not. You would even see an SSID if the router was not plugged into the line - try it...

It just seems the most likely explanation for there being no available lines in our building. The previous tenants moved out only a couple of days before we moved in, we know they were using the net right up until the end, and if they only cancelled it the day they moved out I think it would still be active now.
    Or there really is a limited number of lines, the previous tenants canceled theirs, and somebody else took up the spare line...

Use a network cable instead and see if you can get a connection, That won't be encrypted.

It was gift to us from the previous tenants! The name is I'm guessing the name of the previous tenant who left it for us. I've asked our agent to see if he can contact them to get details of when they cancelled the account etc, but I don't know if he'll have their forwarding details as they returned to the US. PCCW say they need the name of the old account / account number to see if the account is still active, they can't search by address.

Nightmare! I don't think trying another provider will be any good though, if the line is in use?

Seems unlikely someone else took it up in such a short space of time - particularly when the managing agents seem convinced the number of lines to the building isn't a problem. I guess it could have happened, how frustrating.

Sorry I'm not very technical. The WAN light is lit up on the router though?

Does it connect to the Internet if you connect to the router with a wire?

try connect the ethernet cable directly to your laptop and see if there is internet connection.

type "http://192.168.1.1" in internet explore. Hopefully he didn't change the admin account name and password. you can change the SSID and the security key.

Icable uses TV coaxial cables instead of phone lines.

It was gift to us from the previous tenants! The name is I'm guessing the name of the previous tenant who left it for us. I've asked our agent to see if he can contact them to get details of when they cancelled the account etc, but I don't know if he'll have their forwarding details as they returned to the US. PCCW say they need the name of the old account / account number to see if the account is still active, they can't search by address.

Nightmare! I don't think trying another provider will be any good though, if the line is in use?

I am dumb.. u need the security key to connect to the router first to change SSID..

Quote Originally Posted by pizzalover:
    try connect the ethernet cable directly to your laptop and see if there is internet connection.

type "http://192.168.1.1" in internet explore. Hopefully he didn't change the admin account name and password. you can change the SSID and the security key.

Icable uses TV coaxial cables instead of phone lines.

Pizzalover

Tried that and no web when using a cable. Does that then mean there isn't an active line? So there really aren't enough phone lines to the building?

What's Icable?

Are there any alternatives to PCCW for broadband and TV? We looked at Vodafone Smartone but download speed was so slow.

I am guessing there isn't. But I don't know for sure.
    Icable is HK Cable TV.. one of the internet & TV providers

Pizzalover

Tried that and no web when using a cable. Does that then mean there isn't an active line? So there really aren't enough phone lines to the building?

What's Icable?

Are there any alternatives to PCCW for broadband and TV? We looked at Vodafone Smartone but download speed was so slow.

Ok, and they don't use phone lines? I'll investigate them then. I was under the impression that Now TV was the only way to get more TV channels. Currently only have the terrestrial - 2 in English and they don't have many programmes!