iCable Speed

iCable Speed

I was quite happy with iCable Broadband so far, but now the download / upload speed has gone down.... : (

Quick Speedtest.net check (server in Ratingen, Germany), here is the more than disappointing result:

How can this be? It was definitely better before, although I admit that I didnt check the speed regularly. But all the sites / streams I was visiting / using without any trouble dont work anymore at this time... : (

The results of the HK site of speed test are not trust worthy in the leasts.

1. The latency to that site is very high, too high to be able to use it as a souorce. I am not sure where it is.

2. I've run the tests and the fulctuationis vary 20% from one minute to another. It is likely that the test site suffers from congestion too.

3. Before for Netfront accessing that server was not done via HKIX to the results I go were poor as they went through International bandwidth. You maybe going to that site via the US.

I advice is STOP USING IT AS A YARD STICK!

If you want a more accurate report go and do a download this from CUHK. But stop it after 3 minutes (so that we don't congest or thrash the server)

ftp.cuhk.edu.hk/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES/7.2/7.2-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso.gz

Dave, I'm not saying that you are not getting bad performance but 721ms within HK there is something very wrong. If that is congestion on your local loop I doubt you would be able to post on this site. So that result you posted my humble opinion is bollocks.

Last edited by hk.com; 28-08-2009 at 02:00 PM.

750ms to a server in germany.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    Dave, I'm not saying that you are not getting bad performance but 721ms within HK there is something very wrong.
    The thing that's wrong is that you didn't read his post carefully enough. The Speed Test he shows is to a server in Germany, not one in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The thing that's wrong is that you didn't read his post carefully enough. The Speed Test he shows is to a server in Germany, not one in HK.
    Ye, that's the point. HK is fine:

Whooops! Oh well.

However everything else I said is applicable accurate. Everyone keeps moaning about the poor performance they get based on what speed test says and it clearly fails to do that job right even within Hong Kong.

Ok, now that I know what country we are talking about...

Good latency to Germany is about 290ms. Most should be within the 330ms. The latency tends to be high due to going via the US.

Linear distance at speed of light in fiber is about 42ms.

If you have money to spare call PCCW and ask them for a pipe on them EMRC2, a cable that runs frorm HK, Shanghai, Russia and then Germany. Latency runs at around 210ms. a 1Gbit clear costs about HK$1.5M/month Nearly all providers don't use this cable. Most traffic to Germany goes via Reach and NTT Global.

Just did the check again. German server: Results are pretty much the same as posted above.

BUT: There is quite a big difference with Paris, France:

Upload is faster than download... rather untypical, hm?