Windows Live Mail Error when using Hotmail in Outlook Express

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Windows Live Mail Error when using Hotmail in Outlook Express

Since Hotmail changed to POP3 mail on 1st September I followed their E-mail to reconfigure my Outlook Express

Incoming OK when using Port 995 and SSl
    Outgoing has Errors using either of the suggested ports.

Port: 25
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Port: 25 SSL
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Port: 587
    The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Re: ', Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Port: 587 SSL
    Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

TLS is supposed to work instead of SSL but there is no option in this version of windows.;

If anyone has a clue how to fix it without upgrading to XP SP2 and downloading Windows Live Mail I would love to know.
    XP SP2 has timing issues that interfere with some hardware that I work with.

Just send outbound SMTP through your ISP's SMTP server. Why do you need to use Microsoft's?

It's possible to be "connected to the Internet using the MSN network" in Hong Kong?

PDLM that would show up as a different email address to hotmail though?

shri tried it, no luck, response same
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Hotmail (1)', Server: 'smtp.email.msn.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

May have to wait a dew days till the search engines pick this problem up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arpsky:
    PDLM that would show up as a different email address to hotmail though?
    No - you seem to have some fundamental misunderstanding of how email works.

Just send your outbound emails via you ISP's SMTP server and collect received emails by POP3 from the server of your email provider.

PDLM are you sure, let me get this right, if I spammed the world from a say a netvigator account using a hotmail return address who would get blacklisted ?

Netvigator. (Assuming, when you say "from a Netvigator account" you mean through an SMTP machine or from an IP address owned by Netvigator). Anyone can put any return address they want on an outbound email - if you examine some spam you will find that much of it has the To: address (i.e. yours) as the From: address also.

In fact some Netvigator mail machines do get blacklisted from time to time because they are used for spam. Return addresses are never used for blacklisting.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-09-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Netvigator blocks outgoing SMTP connections. You will have to send through their server by authenticating and because they do that, they get blocked a lot less than you'd imagine.

Arpsky - you still need to authenticate (username & password) for your SMTP access. It isn't open relay. Most ISP would have systems in place (eg. no more than 30 emails at a time or something) so you won't be able to spam The Return address is just a field, try making up a fake one, it'll let you.

Edit: shri - beat me to it by this <-- --> much

Last edited by spooky; 04-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast