Techno Wizardry Equipment Question

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hey LM it's so easy. Just ask here what you need to know. Most pieces of hardware come with a one-year manufacturer's warranty and a seven-day faulty-return warranty from the shop.
    Golden Shopping Arcade, Mong Kok Computer Centre and Wanchai Computer Centre are full of shops selling all the parts you need. The sheer number of shops in one centre keeps the prices competitive and cheap for us.

KK
    Seeing as i'll be funding it from my finite and rapidly shrinking pot of hard-earned gold i'm just worried that if i have problems with it i'll take it back and they will just talk at me in canto and pretend to have never seen me before....

Anyway, i'm looking for something with:

CPU min. 3Ghz processing power
    Min. 1Gb (pref DDR2) RAM
    HDD min. size 160 (pref *2)
    Good Graphics card for graphics/rendering(min. 128mb, pref 256+, dual-output)
    min CDRW drive (pref DVD/CDRW 48*36*48*16)

Snazy Case with 'go faster' red stripes and blue underglow! (optional)

would be easier if it came with an OS that will run most applications with no complications, though pre-installed OS is by no means that important.
    dont need any software, monitor or periphrals

I can get the min spec from dell, ibm et al. for around $6,500 with three years warrently blah blah - what should i be expecting to pay for this in GSA, MKCCentre, WCC etc and will it be cheaper dep. on how far out you go - ie WCC more than GSA?

p.s. baron i trust you (unless u drink VB/MB that is)

I decided to go with Dell after having built my own systems for the last 7 years. Easier all around and you get excellent specs, great designs and 3 year warrantys with optional warranty for accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    I decided to go with Dell after having built my own systems for the last 7 years. Easier all around and you get excellent specs, great designs and 3 year warrantys with optional warranty for accidents.
    Thats what im thinking, its just so easy and if anything goes wrong you just pick up the phone and then its their problem! But if i can save a lot of dollars then i'll self-build. I just cant see how it can be all that much cheaper when you think about the CPU and video card - they have a fairly standard base price - high!, memory and stuff im sure is much cheaper tho...

Maybe the non-brand name is cheaper? I can live with non brand name, tho i'd like a video card made by someone i've heard of.
    Last edited by Laughing_Monkey; 13-10-2005 at 05:25 PM. Reason: why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_Monkey:
    p.s. baron i trust you (unless u drink VB/MB that is)
    Erm, i do like Melb Bitter, but cant stand VB, so i'm half trustworthy.
    Best thing to do is visit these centres on the weekend and check out the prices. They are all trustworthy and helpfull. At least things at the Golden arcade have prices on them. None of these arcades are anything like Nathan Rd for example.

I guess MB isnt so bad...

Looks like im going to have to cross the deep divide and go 'walkabout' on the dark side...

Hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised and find it so cheap i can buy 2!

Well I took the spec. list from a Dell configuration and priced it up using the Golden Arcade site (when it worked) and the Dell price was only $300 more. Bearing in mind that the website prices may be slightly off by not being updated regularly this is easily offset by the saving of my time in shopping, bringing it home and assembling. But that's not the end of it because Dell includes the MS Windows O.S. and a three-year warranty in the price so no contest as far as I am concerned.

Agh! So its not all that much cheaper? What kinda spec have you got?

Dell Dimension 9100
    Intel D820 cpu dual core each at 2.8GHz
    1MB L2 cache for each core, 800MHz FSB
    1GB DDR2 533MHz RAM
    160GB SATA hard drive
    256MB ATI Radeon X600 video card
    19" LCD Display
    16xDVD-ROM
    Windows XP Home
    3-year Dell Complete cover warranty

anyone know wht time these computer centres are open till

Closed Thread