Techno Wizardry Equipment Question

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Okay, can anyone explain in laymens terms how much better a dual core 2.8ghz is than a 3.0ghz single core. I'm presuming its something to do with being able to split tasks and hence process them faster....

damn dell deals arent getting any better! grrrr
    if only someone would have a price war with them....

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:

Monkey:
    What level are you on in CGI and such?
    If your not pro level just buy a mid range system untill you really can use the power of a real workstation.
    Ie if all your gonna do is build low poly FMV seq around 20k polys then you could do that on a 1Ghz CPU and 512mb ram :P so shop what you really need dont go spend on what you dont need...like all gamer kids do and rookie 3D modelers
    I think the term 'rookie' is a pretty good fit. I'm using stuff like Solid Works, Rhino 3D V3, the majority of the CorelDraw Suite, some of the Adobe Creative Suite and Sketchup etc. I used to run the CorelDraw Suite and some 3D software like Bentley Powerstation etc on a 2.66ghz with 512mb ram but found that when i had the various parts of corel open, it would start lagging up after a while and end up freezing completely wheneva i was at a critical stage. As for rendering in 3D - the less said the better!!

I'm not trying to make big animation sequences or suchlike, just high-res end graphics and some 3D modelling, with the odd flythrough - and i'll not be printing at home, well, maybe scaled drafts, but nothing taxing...

I'm mostly concerned about being able to work relatively unhindered by hardware deficancies - and although my basic needs in 3D programs are relatively simple as these things go, i want to be able to play about with the programs and their more complicated/ demanding functions as much as possible to learn as much about them as I can whilst i'm stull relatively 'time rich'.

However, time is the only thing i have a lot of at the moment so i'm looking to get as much as possible for as little as possible.

p.s. sorry for the Essay!

Presumably your 3.0GHz cpu runs hyperthreading. And I also presume that you are comparing Intels.
    Generally speaking there is little difference between 2.8 and 3.0 (no, get outta here!). However, a dual-core will complete multiple tasks quicker than a single-core cpu. If you have no need to crunch large numbers or encode video then you would be fine with the single-core hyperthreaded cpu.

But as Dell only charge a small premium for the dual-core I took that and am anticipating that it will last me longer.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    ... I also presume that you are comparing Intels.
    There are others?

The dual core 2.8 is (surprise surprise) slightly more expensive than the 3.0 single core, but less than a 3.2 single core. The singles all have hyperthreading.

Ideally i want it to last me for two years - slightly more than the magic 18months (if that still applies), and since its easy and relatively inexpensive to 'top-up' the RAM and HDD - the problem of an outdated processer is my main worry...

You will never get the best. That's my rationale. If you see something that suits you for performance and price then go for it. If you wait too long it will become dated. Go go go!

Okay, last question (hopefully). As far as i am aware an intergrated graphics accellerator can have onboard memory, but generally only up to 128mb and even so doesnt deliver anything like the performance of a Graphics Card. Am i right? If so i can draw a fat red line through compaq, hp, ibm et al...

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Yep...A standalone graphics card can and does give you better graphics performance than an onboard integrated accelerator.

Seriously, L_M, ever considered building your own? Get a PC 'tailored' to your specific requirements, whereby you can put forward your money for some very very very good equipment.

The site I mentioned earlier, www.hkgolden.com, can give you references to the prices of most products you require. I know it's in Chinese, but get Google to translate it for you and you'll get an idea about the cost of putting together your 'dream PC'.

ever thought about buying AMD instead of Intel's "evil inside" processors?

yerh, AMD are pretty good, and i would be happy buying one. I got into intel after the 'celeron' appeared and i discovered you could overclock them...

i'll have a proper look at the site you suggested, i have to get a comp soon because im beginning to annoy myself now - and im slowly getting back into the swing of whats what in the land of techno babble...

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

here's an idea...

visit some of the stores in either in Wanchai or Sham Shui Po that sell pre-configured PC's, have a look at their specs, and then make changes to your chosen components and add-ons (more RAM, extra harddrive, etc.) and get a quote. The salespersons will also be in a better position to advise you with what's compatible and with what you need. If you're satisfied with it, buy it

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast