Wireless networking woes

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the responses. Issue is I can't get the PC or laptop to talk to the modem via the router. Because I have Netvigator running the TV in the lounge, I'm trying not to run a LAN cable from the ADSL modem to the PC (in the office). Am trying to get the desktop PC to wirelessly act as the server, feeding the laptop. So far, the WAN and WLAN seem to be talking, just nothing coming via the LAN.

May be the walls, so will try moving the PC closer.

Otherwise, have done all I can with various helpdesks. Am at a point where a friendly techy would be ideal!

http://www.geoexpat.com/classifieds/...ct=3377&page=3

Try this guy -- his rates seem reasonable. I'd tell him he'll get paid only when he fixes the problem.

Hi,

I think the first question is whether the PC can connect via a LAN cable to the ADSL modem? In debugging, it is best to be sure you have a working connection, and then we'll add things (like a wireless router and card) into the mix.

So assuming you have a connection, something you may want to consider is the authentication method at the ISP. I do not know if this is the case at Netvigator (but believe it was the case at icable) that the DHCP server at the ISP assigns a lease to your account based on the MAC address of the device connecting. It maintains the lease for a few hours, figuring you just went offline for a bit but will be back.

However, if you come back with a new toy in the mix (such as a wireless router, or a VoIP box that has its own MAC address) the central server is like "ok, I assigned this IP to this MAC address, and now there is a new device at that place. WTF?"

I ran into this after installing my wireless router on icable and then, after the fact, trying to add my US Vonage VoIP box. It took a few hours for the central server at icable to reset and reassign a new IP to my device.

But if this isn't the case...then we need some more information.

So you plug your computer into the modem via LAN cable and it works? Yes (if no, then this is an ISP level issue). Ok, so it works. Now you plug in your wireless router. Is it properly configured to pull a DHCP address? Is there any authentication required? You will probably have to put that in and all that.

On your PC...can you see any other wireless networks? Just stick the thing in your window and see if any other networks show up. If you can get online via the LAN cable grab a free program called "Stumbler" which will help you find other networks.

For "Spamvigator" it is :

POP.Netvigator.com <---- to collect e'mails.

MAIL. Netvigator.com <----- to send out e'mails ...... and it will accept NO substitutes ! <Grin>.

I had similar probs - sometimes small e'mails would get away, & larger ones would not.

Are you using Zone Alarm? [or some other Firewall?].

If so, (temporarily) unload it and see if your e'mails get away.

When I changed from a cheap Commie Router to a Buffalo Wi-Fi router I had this problem - solved somehow by upgrading from ZA 3026 to Zone Alarm 5.xxx.

And I would tend to concur - you ought to set the email program to the local ISP info.

After all, you are paying for their service & they provide an e'mail address for you.

I've not tried distant collection of e'mails - except from a Taipei Hotel's LAN - and there it worked perfectly, as did a Xiamen Holiday Inn LAN.

Not only that but you also HAVE to set up the router with your login name *&* password.

Just type into I.E :

http://192.168.1.1 ..... and wait around for a while - most seem to take what seems an age to respond - then you have to "Wave a Magic Wand" with correct name [often "Admin" & NO password] to get to the set up screens.

They are - in my estimation anyway - quite simple responses required and then connect on to the ADSL modem & - with luck - it'll connect to Internet.

You *might* [I suppose] need to switch off the modem & router & then switch them on again to get a connection.

I'm no expert, but I have set up half a dozen routers in my time.

Woolfman, you're getting a lot of advice here and it must be bewildering. If you want to talk to someone (for free) just pm me.